1991 Fire Mountain - bit of a barn find

KeepItSteel

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
You know that feeling when you suspect the pic's you've been scrutinising in the classified ad are revealing a tantilising glimpse of something a bit special.. so you take a punt - and it turns out it was a bit special after all? This is one of those moments.

Just picked this one up, and on close inspection she looks to have covered around 10 miles total since 1991. Original reflectors still fitted front & rear are another reason for me to suspect this one has never been off road (before today!) Just take a look at the condition of the rims!

All original, minus the grips (and possibly the saddle?). Tyres still with the knobbly bits. With a bit of polish and some lube on the drivechain I think i'll get it looking 100% sorted.

Took it out for a 25 mile spin today, and was delighted to find its a great fit for me (20" frame). I was also reminded why there are so many fans of this classic Kona geometry, its a great ride. Although, despite double butted main tubes she's sure stout.. I may christen her 'boneshaker'. The maximum & reaction tyres are much better in performance than I expected them to be which was a nice bonus.

In the interest of actually being able to stop off road I may have to fit slightly better brakes/levers and may also switch to DX thumbies but also want to refrain from spoiling the lovely originality of this bike. Full 300LX groupo in mint condition certainly looks the part.
What can anyone tell me about the (possibly) original Gel Avocet saddle? popular?
Any fans of the red flite instead (final pic)? Don't worry, the stem will be dropped as soon as I pick up the correct spanner.
I hope you enjoy the pics. I'm chuffed that I found this, hopefully it'll see action on a couple of retro rides this year, including Big Dog.

photo35-Copy.jpg

photo36.jpg

photo34.jpg

photo37.jpg

photo46.jpg

Re: 1992 Fire Mountain - bit of a barn find

KeepItSteel":2lj4wx9x said:
Don't worry, the stem will be dropped as soon as I pick up the correct spanner.

Just a 6mm allen key surely...?

Looks great as it is. The Avocet saddle looks like a fat person in a shell-suit but the red Flite doesn't quite work with the blue in my opinion.

Thanks, I love the blue frame too.

I'll probably end up switching out the saddle for a black flite, but this one will have to do in the meantime. I quite like the 'superman' contrast of colours, but I also think it's not quite 100% right

Neither saddle is original - would have been an Avocet with a Kona "number plate" on the rear, as on one of the few pictures I have of mine (RIP where ever you are), oh and it's and it's a '91.

Don't suppose there was a matching 18" at the same place?

Attachments

• 1993_09_0034_edited-1.jpg
    1993_09_0034_edited-1.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 814
yep, that's the saddle I saw once in a catalogue pic. we even share the same reflectors!
did you change the canti's? The 300lx plastic canti's are a bit, pants.

Sorry, only the 20" available this time. Hope you find an 18!

KeepItSteel":b425x4qj said:
yep, that's the saddle I saw once in a catalogue pic. we even share the same reflectors!
:D - was being used on the road, so front reflector stayed - I still have the Vistalite rear LED light - think it was the first commercial one available in the UK.

did you change the canti's? The 300lx plastic canti's are a bit, pants.
Yep, rears were replaced with shiny 987's. The fronts weren't as bad as the rears, you could adjust the straddle wire to get something useable out of them. I'd try changing the pads before swapping the brakes on something as original as that.

Sorry, only the 20" available this time. Hope you find an 18!
The search continues, though deep down, I know I want my bike back, not just another Fire Mountain.

Back