Grove Hard Core Squared - FINAL 28/05/2012

mkozaczek

BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
I've been working on these projects for almost a year and a half now. Growing up in State College (where Groves were made) I remember going into the Bicycle Shop and drooling over the Hard Cores. So, I built these two bikes just like they would have been built back in the 90s.

I finally had a little bit of time over the weekend to finish the two Grove Hard Cores. Both bike are nearly 100% complete. The larger one will get matching Hot Rods and still needs some fine tuning on the cable routing and drivetrain adjustment, maybe a different chain. I'm tossing around the idea of putting black Graftons on it, but might just keep it stock M735. This is one heavy bike at 28.5 lbs, a much different ride than my Adroit. Cool thing about this larger frame is that it was built just three days after my birthday in 1991. It's hard to capture the color in a photo, but the front end looks black in normal light, but under direct sunlight the red pearl really comes through.

The smaller bike is virtually done aside from some cable routing adjustments. Interesting bit about this frame, the top tube and down tube are 91/92 Hard Core stock, the seat tube is earlier 89 or so Assault or Hard Core stock and the rear triangle is 94/95 Aggressor stock, so it's one odd duck. No serial number to boot. I think Bill did a fantastic job with this paint, it's awesome in person.

DSC_0707-vi.jpg

DSC_0708-vi.jpg

DSC_0709-vi.jpg

jujupunk":3mer9t6o said:

Yep. I won't show them until I get both done. The bike in the foreground is a few weeks out from being complete. Some part snafus and a few unexpected changes mean it will be a bit longer...

THEY ARE STUNNING THOUGH!!!!

DSC_0702_1-vi.jpg

DSC_0698_1-vi.jpg

DSC_0701-vi.jpg

DSC_0699-vi.jpg

Very nice indeed! I'm very keen on getting hod of one of these someday, they epitomise my favourite period of MTB history. Love the paint!

Well, here they are. Both bikes build with all NOS M735 XT, NOS Ground Control and Ground Control Extreme tires. The smaller one has an NOS IRD post, Ti Syncros on the larger one. Chris King headset on the larger one and it will get matching Hot Rod cranks as soon as they are done.

DSC_0737-vi.jpg

DSC_0738-vi.jpg

DSC_0739-vi.jpg

DSC_0740-vi.jpg

DSC_0741-vi.jpg

DSC_0742-vi.jpg

DSC_0743-vi.jpg

DSC_0744-vi.jpg

DSC_0745-vi.jpg

DSC_0749-vi.jpg

DSC_0747-vi.jpg

DSC_0750-vi.jpg