Rocky Mountain - Altitude 1993 - the start

FluffyChicken

Archivist
Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Well I made progress on this today, I got the syncros crank-o-matics out and intact.

So here it starts.

Frame is presumed a Rocky Mountain 1993 Altitude, all the hallmarks but with some modifications.

There has been eyelets for rack mounts added on the rear dropout, and the seat stays. I assume these to be done by some famous British builder when the fork legs, that came with it, were created for the RS MAG steerer. (name escapes me but i'll check) EDIT: Dave Yates

Anyway, also the rear brake cable stop in front of the seat tube has been replaced, easy to tell as it is laid in the wrong (though more traditional) rotation.
The modifications are easy to tell as the original paint has been taken back to the metal and the rest has not.

Seems they sprayed (the original paint colours) using powder. First spraying all the bike in the rear colour if the bike, then did the front triangle colour on top.

Anyway some pictures
Propanone removes the rattle can spray quite nicely, getting to the paint under it to have a look.
Also that tip I was provided with, to use propanone, on the crank-o-matics along with a park tool I eventually got from CRC did the job of getting the cranks off.
P1050448.JPG

Headset, to get hit off and placed in the parts bin, RaceFace ? I don't know these but bearing seems a bugger, could be parts missing. No compression wedge?
P1050450.JPG

On your right is the replacement stop, it should mirror the left one like all the others do, you can just see the bolt in the eyelets that have been added on the stays
P1050452.JPG

Eyelets added to dropouts. Seems a shame to remove them, but probably will.
P1050455.JPG

Drainage thing, chainsuck location thing and mmmm bottom bracket. It's very nice. Just need to figure out how it's all together so I can get it off.
P1050454.JPG

Frame as is in the picture is 4lb 13 7/8 oz (14.86 lb)

Vital stats (to follow)

To do : A Lot

What I'll do to it : dunno. build and ride to see what it's like, then strip and do something proper with it.

Not going original spec, seems no point as none of my bikes are and everything that was original is now somewhere else.

Attitude

Will watch this with interest, would of been on the ride today, but family Golden Wedding bash, so clash of dates sorry fella.

Those eyelets have to go,also why has the seat tube had a 'baloney'cut? how would you seat a collar?

Good luck with the build, gonna be nice.

al. :D

FC, do you need a seat collar? I have red and gold.
I just finnished a 96 Altitude.

Nice project! Lots of frame amendments though... :?

Did you find a serial number? What about the Shimano dropouts?

al":1nyx0e8r said:
Those eyelets have to go,also why has the seat tube had a 'baloney'cut? how would you seat a collar?

All pre '95 Rockies had seat tube tops slash cut, they need a specific sloping clamp that were supplied with the frames.

Wold Ranger":uanwtadd said:
al":uanwtadd said:

All pre '95 Rockies had seat tube tops slash cut, they need a specific sloping clamp that were supplied with the frames.

What do I know about old bikes, I thought this was the Off Topic forum!

al, your old '96 was just too modern ;)

The slope was a trademark look for Rockies, had that style on the higher end since '91 I think, though 1993 was the first with the band and clamp.

Luckily I have the clamp (faded gold) the original one.
The Shimano dropouts are true and the proper ones, i.e. one of the identifiers of the model

Original RaceFace IB cranks with XTR rings as well. No number on them just an M (or W) faintly stamped into them.

Not found a serial yet, not sure where it really should be on these but I'm sure I recall them being inside one of the tubes (head or BB shell). Problem is I cannot remember why or who told me, I'm sure it was looking into another '93 Altitude

Frame colours are either team (simple) but I have one in that colour, original (I don't much like from memory). or some fun with the colours.

So far I think I have an slightly battered front and rear mech XTR mech (but 737/952 is a choice)
Ritchey WCS bars and some Spesh bar ends
Stem for the time being something a bit cheap
Seat a flite like my others
Seatpost, going to run for the time being a USE with a shim as I seem to have a shim from somewhere
Wheels? got plenty but need to choose.
Might plump for a Ritchey WCS headset as they as simple , work and cheap and means I can swap forks around with my other bikes running the same headset.

But as Dave should no my bike never often end up in one piece for long.

Gil does not have the Altitude logo on file so need to find a good picture of one, the only ones I have don't show the raised T's very well.

Back