mtb daves GT RTS1(with photo's)

mtbdave

GT Fan
Feedback
View
Well the final chapter of my build is now underway, i picked up the paul's stoplite canti's from the post office this morning went home then loaded everything into the car then off to quinns cycles in liverpool for it to be built for me.

After 6 months of gathering all the parts,polishing the frame,frantically trying to get new decals/re-spaying the rear end black now this the build is nearly over and as happy and excited as i am to get my first build done i do feel a bit of sadness.
No more bidding on ebay/or grabbing something off you guys on here!!

Some photos of the bike until it returns!! :cry:

002.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

001.jpg

003-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

007-2.jpg

001-1.jpg

002-4.jpg

I (all too briefly) owned a RTS Team in anodized black.

I was surprised by how good the ride was. The piggyback shock on mine was surprisingly tunable.

Felt like a fair bit more than 55 or 65mm of travel.

Looking forward to updates :cool:

Can't wait till I get her back,some lovely stuff in them boxes and bags!!
Was good listening to the guys in the shop talking about the frame/fork and asking where I got all the parts from.
And saying how much they miss all the older stuff and they get a buzz about working on the early bikes much better than the stuff now,as there's no character just all mass produced parts by the big company's.

Looks good mate! - i'm just starting my 94 Team RTS, pulled it apart today and gave it a little bit of a polish, can I ask how you went about refinishing the frame?

I'm planning in Polish (to see what condition its in), them a go over with steel wool, then a good rub with 600 wet and dry sandpaper, then a final polish

cheers Gregg

Yes Greg,
I went down a similar route autosol/wire wool didnt use wet n dry should have to be honest but i was too busy panicing about replacement fluro decals!!

should have finished photos towards the end of the month as am on hols at the moment and due to pick her up on the 23/4th

all built up/cabled up and front and rear wheels re built with dt swiss double butted spokes.

am enjoying my time off but cant wait to get home!!! :shock:

Thanks Dave - so am I right in assuming that using the wire wool actually mad no differance to this percieved "Ball Burnished coating"?

I had a crack at part of my seat stay last night and noticed the wire wool definatly took out alot of marks, and as long as i polished the area again afterwards there seemed to be no differance to the surrounding untouched area

What grade wert and dry do you think? would that make an even nicer finish than the steel wool?

cheers G

i used steel wool in places which were most scratched,then autosol thats it i didnt want to take out every last mark from the frame as where the cable rub is it will always rub there.
also if its quite deep then polising it out will thin out the thin alu tubing!!!

how bad is the crack on the rear? is it chrome or alu?

if chrome(4130 same as mine) then i could repair it as i am a time served welder and i have a tube of 4130 chrome off a job i worked on last year(amazing what you can find in the boot of your car ;) lol)

Alas not cromoly, its an alloy rear end, Well I might do the same as you I think and go the steel wool/autosol way, I'm thinming I might just go ahead and do the frame and rear end - and keep a close eye on RB for a spare rear section

Back