Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:35 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:18 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

Gil-m did mine so he will have them on file, although from this picture my placement of decals looks a :oops: bit off, the decals were perfect however

I would be interested in how you get on with recreating the flouro paint, i had mine powdercoated, and initally it was perfect, but the poweder has crazed and i have surface rust coming through in parts so it needs redoing.

I dont really trust trying to recreate flouro in powder coat now :cry:

Attachments:
my_marin_muirwoods_1989_133.jpg
my_marin_muirwoods_1989_133.jpg [ 240.44 KiB | Viewed 2089 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:10 pm 
Retro Guru

Charlieboy28 wrote:
Gil-m did mine so he will have them on file, although from this picture my placement of decals looks a :oops: bit off, the decals were perfect however

I would be interested in how you get on with recreating the flouro paint, i had mine powdercoated, and initally it was perfect, but the poweder has crazed and i have surface rust coming through in parts so it needs redoing.

I dont really trust trying to recreate flouro in powder coat now :cry:

Love this....

Shame to hear about the powdercoat - if there's rust coming through that sounds like bad prep surely...? Maybe the cause for the powdercoating crazing too (not that I know anything about powdercoating!)

Any ideas what the paint code is for the colour? I need to find a match and I'm not too sure how to go about it. Presumably you can get paint analysed and matched (there are a couple of good un-faded sections underneath stickers that I can use as a sample)?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 5:43 pm 
Retro Guru

After a bit of trawling for a good paint match for the Muirwoods I've come across Lotus Krypton Green........looks close enough I reckon, and I can get a "repair" kit of 400ml Aerosol + clear lacquer which means I can have a crack at painting it myself! Woo........

What do we think - a good enough match?? (I've used charlieboy28's bike as a comparison)

Attachments:
DSC_2577.jpg
DSC_2577.jpg [ 408.88 KiB | Viewed 1937 times ]
my_marin_muirwoods_1989_133_242.jpg
my_marin_muirwoods_1989_133_242.jpg [ 240.44 KiB | Viewed 1937 times ]
DSC02832.JPG
DSC02832.JPG [ 144.21 KiB | Viewed 1937 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:23 pm 
Retro Guru

Mate i think it'd be more burn your eyes off glow in the dark flouro yellow like the 91 Palisades and 92 Muirwoods? Some times photos don't capture the right shade. When i bought my 91 the photo on ebay made it look custard yellow but when i went to pick it i could see it streets away lol. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:26 pm 
Retro Guru

legrandefromage wrote:
For the older ones out there, cannot see this bike without thinking of

Every time i see this pic i think of Cadbury's Fruit & Nut bars bizarrely...

Taxi :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:40 pm 
Retro Guru

PopsTrippin wrote:
Mate i think it'd be more burn your eyes off glow in the dark flouro yellow like the 91 Palisades and 92 Muirwoods? Some times photos don't capture the right shade. When i bought my 91 the photo on ebay made it look custard yellow but when i went to pick it i could see it streets away lol. :lol:

It's def. got a hint of green to it (Marin call it Lime yellow) - I've peeled off a bikeshop sticker from the frame revealing the unfaded paint so I've got a good source to get it matched.

I've taken the stem into a few paint shops to compare against the aerosol fluro yellows that are available and it just doesn't match.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:34 pm 
Retro Guru

Spent some of the Easter weekend indulging in a bit of bike resto....got the headset cleaned up and resprayed and prepped, primed and sprayed the forks and stem.

As for colour match - I had a mooch down to Halfords and took a punt on their fluro yellow. The colour on the lid looked similar to the unfaded sections on the frame.

It's a close match....it's less "green" than the original (which sounds strange when talking about yellow paint!) but it's good enough, and cheap enough for this project and it means I can spray it myself.

I was a little nervous about Halfords fluro paint as I've seen it mentioned that it doesn't cover particularly well. This is true - but if you lay down a good coating of matt white primer before the fluoro the results are really good. It dries matt too tho' so a few coats of lacquer are needed to give a nice deep shine.

Been collecting some bits too as they pop up on the forum. It's gonna be a very budget-conscious build this........

Attachments:
DSC_2954.jpg
DSC_2954.jpg [ 355.59 KiB | Viewed 770 times ]
DSC_2957.jpg
DSC_2957.jpg [ 419.7 KiB | Viewed 770 times ]
DSC_2940.jpg
DSC_2940.jpg [ 443.15 KiB | Viewed 770 times ]

Last edited by sherlylock on Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:35 pm 
Retro Guru

Obviously the stem isn't that long.......just isn't inserted into the forks fully.

Attachments:
DSC_2956.jpg
DSC_2956.jpg [ 209.25 KiB | Viewed 768 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:59 pm 
Retro Guru

Looking great, nice and bright!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:07 am 
Retro Guru

Not sure about the direction of the Muirwoods now.....it may be morphing into a Palisades......after Ant's bare frame came up for sale.

Last year a guy we had in on work experience pointed me in the direction of a Marin Alcatraz - a modern jump bike but painted in the '90's style neon and '90s graphics. I love the way this bike looks so when the Palisades frame came up for sale it seemed to be the perfect frame to go with the neon yellow forks/stem that I had already re-sprayed from the Muirwoods. The blue is a little darker but I think it still "clashes" nicely with the yellow.

If I can get hold of some neon yellow vinyl I'll probably recreated the logos on the bike to match the forks too.....

The frame turned up yesterday so I spent last night throwing it all together using the bits I've collected for the Muirwoods (I'd rather have a bike built up than a load of bits lying around in a box....)

Attachments:
11ALC.jpg
11ALC.jpg [ 58.64 KiB | Viewed 644 times ]
palisades2.jpg
palisades2.jpg [ 437.37 KiB | Viewed 644 times ]
palisades1.jpg
palisades1.jpg [ 455.25 KiB | Viewed 644 times ]