1995 Kona Kilauea 17"

Mr. Zero

Senior Retro Guru
I'm pretty happy to have finally got my hands on an earlier Tange Prestige tubed Kona. Need to swap out to a wider BB to correct the chain line, but otherwise she's ready to go:

Frame: 1995 Kona Kilauea 17"

Fork: Rock Shox Judy FSX w/ EKO Total Air Cartridges

Headset: FSA Orbit X 1 1/8"
Stem: Kooka
Handlebar: Specialized 140
Grips: Yeti Speed Grips
Barends: NA

Brakes: Avid SD7 V front / Coda 700 canti rear
Brake Pads: Avid front / Coda rear
Brake Cables: Generic
Cantilever cable hangers: Avid Tri-dangle
Brake Levers: Avid FR-5

Shifters: SRAM Attack 9spd
Front Derailleur: SRAM 9.0
Rear Derailleur: Sachs/SRAM Plasma
Derailleur Cables: Shimano SIS
Cassette: SRAM PG 950 11-32
Chain: SRAM PC 971
Cranks: Topline
Crank Bolts: Shimano
Chainrings: Syncros
Chainring bolts: Generic alloy
Bottom Bracket: Syncros Titanium
Pedals: Bontrager RE-1

Hub Skewers: Generic Non-QR alloy nuts / steel bolts
Rims: Mavic 221
Hubs: Shimano Deore XT
Nipples: Generic alloy
Spokes: Generic SG
Tyres: IRC Mythos XC F/R
Tubes: Blackburn 1.25 Presta

Saddle: Sette Lynx
Seatpost: Kooka
Seatpost Binder: Kona

Weight: 23.5 lbs.

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

Barends, yes. Some bikes however get the "short-track" tearin'-it-up build before they get the long-haul mods. Barends are undoubtedly in the future for this one.

Never got past the first book of the Dark Tower series. I don't mind his short stories but most of Stephen King's novels leave me a bit flat.

Next installment in the Mr. Zero Builds a Bike series will be a green 17" 1998 Kona Hot. Stay tuned...

That's the same weight as Kona claimed for the 18" with P2s- good effort! I really want to get me one of these frames in good original condition.

Can't wait to see the Hot!

Ah, Kona at their best (OK, that was 94 but they hadn't gone too far downhill by 95 :)

That bike looks superbly lean and agile...

Cheers,

AJ

Geoff":1shmcvk6 said:
That's the same weight as Kona claimed for the 18" with P2s - good effort!

Except that Mr Zero's quoted weight is probably correct, while Kona's is probably as genuine as a twelve bob note!

My 97 Kilauea weighed 25 lbs ex-works with tb P2s (claim 22.7). Now it weighs 23lbs with SIDs - no manic weight weenie tactics required to achieve that, just replacing the heavy original bits with sensible/better. Main point was that the Kona wheels and tyres weighed 9 lbs, but it now has 517/rev/XT/Kore that weigh 7.2.

How the paint on that bike can be so well-preserved after 12 years of life is a mystery to me.

Back