Kona Cindercone 1994 (With photos)

pedromiguelppinto

Devout Dirtbag
Some years ago I saw a Kona Lavadome from 92 that belongs to a friend of mine and I was stunning with how beautiful this retro bikes are, and I immediately start thinking in getting one for me. Because I love ride bikes but probably I love even more mounting them piece by piece it was obvious that I will bought this retro bike piece by piece and not already complete... so around two years ago I started looking for a nice kona frame to start this project.
Two years ago I finally found one and I thought that the worst part is done, but I realized how wrong I was... So finally today I put every pieces that I collected/bought in the last two years together and I finished my first retro bike, a KONA CINDERCONE '95!

Because I'm not just a bike and retro bike lover, but also a little weight weenie I will list everything on the bike including weights... :LOL:

Component.............Brand/Model...................................Weight (gr)
Frame.....................Kona Cinder Cone 1994 19'................2200,0
Chainset..................Middleburn RS-3 175mm.....................626,2
Rear mech...............Shimano XTR M900 (tunned)...............214,8
Fork........................Kona Project Two 1994.......................816,4
Seatpost..................USE 350mm (Ti Bolts).........................217,1
Front mech..............Shimano XTR M900.............................116,4
Pedals.....................Crank Brothers Egg Beater C...............289,2
Thumbies................Shimano Deore DX 7/8speeds..............214,2
Levers.....................Kona Curve........................................156,6
Bottom Bracket........Shimano LX 68mm-113mm..................286,8
Headset...................Ritchey Logic 1 1/8 Threaded Headset...145,1
Brakes (both)...........Dia compe 987 (Purple)......................350,4
Stem.......................Answer Atac 150mm 0º purple (Ti Bolt).315,0
Cables....................Purple..................................................83,6
Chain......................KMC X8 - 93.......................................280,8
Wheels lock.............Tranz-X Purple......................................90,1
Grips.......................Ati John Tomac (Purple)........................57,5
Tire (front)..............Michelin Wildgripper Lite S Green Front..573,8
Tire (back)..............Michelin Wildgripper Lite S Green Rear...591,1
Hanger fork.............SJ Cycles..............................................39,2
Travões (hanger).....Peace Symbol (Purple)...........................12,5
Frame bolts.............Purple Alloy...............................................0
Seatpost clamp........Kona....................................................17,9
Tube.......................Michelin Air Comp C4 Latex..................122,4
Tube.......................Michelin Air Comp C4 Latex..................122,6
Cassete..................SRAM PG-850 8speeds 11-30................296,7
Wheel protection......No Tubes Stan's....................................10,4
Handlebar................Syncros 560mm.................................140,6
Wheel (Front)...........Hope Ti-Glide 3DV Sun CR18...............794,5
Wheel (Back)...........Hope Ti-Glide 3DV Sun CR18..............1019,9
Saddle....................Selle Italia Flite Titanium.......................221,3
Total.............................................................................10425,7

P.S.- I will post some pictures later...

Here you have some photos... it's a bit colorful but that's the ideia ;)

Of course I'm open to suggestion and I can change some things...

p1020588a.jpg

p1020595c.jpg

p1020594fw.jpg

p1020593t.jpg

p1020592t.jpg

p1020591v.jpg

p1020590x.jpg

p1020589x.jpg
[/img]

great!.....hideous over use of ano is such a crime that it goes full circle and actually looks cool!....it just needs some offensive flou'o grips now....electric blue perhaps?....

your sunshine looks warm and inviting too!.... :D

I'm thinking... maybe I will change the stem for a grey syncros and the tires for something orange/ambar color (like panaracer magic or wildgrippers) if I found something not to expensive...

Yes, here in portugal this year we had sun every days, just one raining day since 1st of january, and the temperature is over 20 last few weeks :cool:

Well whoopee do! Hot and sunny EVERY day since January 1st :shock: How boring would that be :? And no I'm not jealous........no........not me :(

I think it looks great. It's noticeable that Iberian builders often go for really bright colour schemes, and I think that is suited to the sunny climate. It might not look right in damp, cloudy England, but that's not your problem.

I notice you have some purple grips lined up, but I think that might be too much purple in one place, unless you go for the syncros stem option. I like the tyres, as the amber walls match the frame so nicely. I don't think you should have too many colours, so if you keep the stem, I would suggest green grips to go with the tyres. My only objection to the stem is that a 150mm is going to seriously slow down the handling. 120mm or less would make the bike much more lively.

After final assembly time to some changes and improvements ... just came here to ask for advice and help in some points I want to change.

Stem - Change to a Syncros, Controltech or of course one in titanium will be a great solution but it is hard to find at reasonable prices.

Cables (brakes and gears) - I saw some old ones that had the effect of carbon in shades of orange. The idea was something with shades of orange color but not homogeneous, the best I found was this (http://velonews.competitor.com/files...ng-631x421.jpg) but this is gold, which probably goes fine ... Any suggestions!?

Handlebar - I bought this one because at some point I just lacked the handlebars and thought ridiculous not finish the bike because of a piece so simple! So if I go with the Syncros stem this could be fine but if I go to a controltech, maybe a handlebar of the same brand! Again a stem in titanium would be perfect, but again too expensive! What I always liked for bikes for this years were those completely straight handlebars ... as the USE if anyone knows of some in grey...

Pedals - anything of the same time of the bike with or without cleats ... Again suggestions welcome!

Tyres - I really like these, but obviously that changed for a yellow / amber / orange (or whatever) like a magic panaracer or wildgripper orange etc.. but all these values ​​are out too high for me ...

Back