'89 Ritchey Ascent Comp... again!

Russell

Old School Grand Master
I bought this from DAJ but as it sat unloved in the garage for a while I decided to sell it. No-one wanted it, which was odd as it turns out that it's probable that despite being a 'poor mans Ritchey', the great man himself is still likely to have worked on it.

Lack of potential buyers meant that it was a keeper, but I wasn't really happy with it. Dave had done a good job saving it from its previous owner but I thought it deserved more.

Now might be a good time for some before and after pics?

Before it was welcomed to the Retrobike community it was bit of a beater, rack, mudguards, big comfy saddle, slick tyres. Used as a commuter and pretty unloved, but servicable.

DSC_0633.jpg

Dave worked his magic, finding a nice Ritchey Vector saddle, replacing the bars with Ritchey Forcelites, fitting some tidy skinwall tyres and removing the unsightly rack and mudguards.

DSC_0667.jpg

And now?

I can't find another example of this bike that had Deore. I had most of an XT groupset kicking about (mechs, shifters, chainset, brakes) so I've stripped the Deore off and fitted a nice (but not strictly period correct) mix of late '80's/early 90's XT. I refitted the original bars and replaced the modern seatpost with a more suitable one and topped it with a lovely yellow 'Turbo'. Ritchey foam grips complete the front end and I think that the yellow cables match the decals and forks a treat.

Just need to cable it up and fit a new (not black) cassette and chain and its off to the hills :)

yellaaaa.jpg

I wish I'd bought those purple and yellow powergrips that were on here last month, they'd have finished it off perfectly. If anyone has a pair, or the person that bought them has decided they don't want them... drop me a PM!

matthew71":zsi0dkky said:
looking good russell, and whatever tyre,s dave put on it , change them quick :D

Cheeky bugger

I am totally amazed this steed has not been snapped up? :?

matthew71":3611h8ww said:
looking good russell, and whatever tyre,s dave put on it , change them quick :D

It's OK - I sold those to Dave so they work, (he sold this bike as it had too much grip for him to handle I think) :LOL:

Looking good russell - very nice frame and good to see it dressed in Shimano's finest :D

Russell":29s2sjtk said:
Yeah, but I'm kind of glad no-one bought it.

Oh dear having a Davey moment thought this was in the for sale threads!! :roll: Night all !! :LOL:

And yes thank you adrian !! :LOL:

I really, really, REALLY wanted to buy it but after much agonising had to admit to myself that it is just TOO small... :?

daj":2zasw700 said:
Russell":2zasw700 said:
Yeah, but I'm kind of glad no-one bought it.

Oh dear having a Davey moment thought this was in the for sale threads!! :roll: Night all !! :LOL:

And yes thank you adrian !! :LOL:

we are just warming up for your "stag mayhem" .and sorry russell you can have your thread back.and please dont take me up a snow covered hill as punishment :D

Back