One i built earlier - GT Outpost 1992

mattbrown

Retrobike Rider
Kona Fan
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Here is my 1st finished project, identical model to my 1st ever mountain bike, at 13 you dont really look after things like you should, so nearly 16 years later, with little bit of cash, access to the internet (ebay) and too much time (being single helps), i have built up this little beauty (ok its not the top end GT, but its a GT all the same)

2x Outposts have been bought to complete this one,

Replaced - brake blocks (obvious) Seatpost, seat, bottom bracket and handle bar grips - but with trying to keep things all GT, the grips where GT logo'd but having no suspension, i changed to retro foam grips, the Toe clips and straps at GT ones.

All other things are original, suntour mechs and accushift shifters, handle bars, headset, brakes, chainset, and wheels, (dunno about the chain)

It seems like the Outpost of that year at least either, came with amber or black wall cheng shin tyres, i have both, same grip pattern

Attachments

• 100_0065.JPG
    100_0065.JPG
    179.6 KB · Views: 8,028
I remember those splatter Outposts - nice to see some care going into a non-top end bike along with all the higher end stuff we see here.

I keep looking at going for a flexstem for it to allow sum comfort, but just like ot see it original, i always lusted after the RTS when i 1st saw one, and now i have have 2 frames, with one im building up, but damn the christian event called xmas getting in the way and diverting my cash away from that project. role on january!!!

Good to see someone looking after one of the more affordable bikes from BITD, this is the sort of thing that back then, most of our parents would have bought us after we banged on about wanting a mountain bike and would have been an expensive buy (especially if you were from a one parent family like me)

my 1st mountain bike was a second hand raleigh magnum, the outpost was way out of my league

Laugh all you like about the low end stuff of but its where a lot of us started.

Nice bike mattbrown

I only had a £8/week paperround, and had to save £150.00 for it (it cost £250), the other bike i looked at was a british eagle or a claud butler - cant remember, slightly better spec, but didnt look as good, even though it wasnt the best bike, all my mates loved the way it look, a mates brother went on to buy a 92 pantera cuz he like the way my gt looked.

Let me get this straight...you pirated parts from two other crappy Outposts...to build up one crappy Outpost?

Mr Rumpfy, i have great respect for you, so lets not clash here - lol, of course this isnt a great bike, but we all had to start somewhere, and it is my first project, to right the wrongs of being a ignorant child.

Back