Older Klein

trail_head

Retro Guru
Hey Retrobike,

Last Monday night I was scrolling through my local Craigslist and was thrilled to see an ad for "older Klein $100.". Details were few but, it had one picture;

5F55H85J23J93Nc3H8c2ma80151d48d5b17e7.jpg

I sent an email offering to pick it up right away.....no reply. It had been listed for 18hrs already so I assumed it was gone to someone else. I was devastated that I had missed it but, resolved to not be depressed and move on.

Tonight I was scrolling CL and there it was again! different seller and $225 this time. 30 Minutes and $200 later it was mine.

So now I'm the proud owner of an older Klein. This is where you gentlemen come in. I've had many Klein's before but, never older then 2002. I need your help to date it. It's obviously a Pinnacle but, Did they ever come with Manitou2 forks? I'm suspicious about that given what looks to be a Mavic? headset. That surely wasn't original? was it? The paints been striped but, there's evidence of green paint in the serial number stamp.

Can any of you Klein experts tell me more about The History of Kleins around this time? What type of Alu? What's the difference between Pinnacle, Rascal and Attitude? When Did Adroit's first appear? Is there some archive somewhere I can go to and stop bugging you guys?
Who's the best guy to paint it with one of those crazy cool schemes from bitd?
klein007.jpg

klein001.jpg

klein009.jpg

klein002.jpg

klein004.jpg

klein003.jpg

My guess would be 1990 Pinnacle.... judging from the dropouts it's a Pinnacle and the leftover green paint in the serial looks like the color that was available in 1990 (although you could get a custom color every year so not sure about the 1990).

As for painting? Jonrock is the guy to contact for that... I think he'll be able to help out and make it a great looking frame again :)

Certianly this side of the pond jonrock is recognised as one of the best at Klein repaints, here is his web site

http://www.kleinspainted.com/

Seeing as your in Canada though the additional cost of courier to and from may be an issue, not for most as they soon forget the cost when jons work arrives to your home but if it is a problem it might be worth contacting john to see if he knows of any good painters your side of the pond?

Back