Bontrager Race Lite

benbonty

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I've been here a while and thought it was about time I did a build thread! I have a few Bontragers, but this is the only one I can start at the beginning with, the others are all nearly done or finished, like my Road Lite in the Road section. I picked the frame, fork, seatpost, saddle, headset and lovely bar/stem combo up from a forum member last year and have decided to do a fairly lightweight build, possibly SS or 1x8. It is a pre trek race lite, probably 93/94 in superb condition and I love it, I've picked up a few parts already but there's still a little way to go yet.

I'm not a fan of the Bontrager/San Marco Saddle shape, so I've moved that on, to be replaced with my favourite saddle of all time: a specialized/wtb s-works prolong titanium. Wheels will be Hope/Mavic and cranks probably either Raceface Turbine I beams, Cook Bros RSR or M730 XT. The rest of the build is to be decided, so your input would be much appreciated!

Here is the start of the project:

SIMPLE........ELEGANT............UNDERSTATED................COOL.

NO emotions needed.

sinnerman":3km5rx99 said:

NO emotions needed.

Thanks man, I think you'll like it even more as It comes together. I intend to keep it understated and classy....

benbonty":dh1vokgy said:
sinnerman":dh1vokgy said:

NO emotions needed.

Thanks man, I think you'll like it even more as It comes together. I intend to keep it understated and classy....

The way God intended.... ;)

keithb":v1wdf8qc said:
Always lovely. :)
Nice colourway as well :D

Thanks man, although I think the decal colour may change as I'm not keen on the later silver decals. Think I may go for Yellow where the silver is currently and red lettering and bands......

feetabix":1m0xl6wh said:
really nice......not too much bling so the frame takes centre stage......

Totally agree mate, Bontragers do not suit bling! Going to try and keep it subdued, with as much black as possible. Possibly a couple of boutique parts, but still low key.

I've put together a bit of a spec. sheet of how things are looking at the moment, I've a few decisions to make and a few parts to find, but I thought I might as well get started!

Frame: 1993 Bontrager Race Lite
Fork: Rock Shox Mag 21 with Bontrager Crown - I have a Kooka Brace for these in black which I will probably fit, however, it has no holes for springs so will limit the canti choices rather drastically...

Headset: FSA - This is the headset that came with the frame, but I'm not a fan and this will be changed when I find something suitable. I was thinking perhaps a King rasta, but not sure if I want to use any colours yet.
Stem: Bontrager with integrated bar - beautiful stem with my favourite bar bonded and riveted in to save weight. perfect.
Handlebar: Answer Hyperlite - bonded to stem - as above
Grips: ODI Tomac Attack - my favourite grips of all time, so pleased that they are still available new!

Brakes: I'm looking for some M730 or M734 XT canti's in black......
Brake Pads: Dependant on brakes
Brake Cables: Clarks - had these laying around but might put something nicer on.....
Cantilever cable hangers: Dependant on brakes
Brake Levers: Real Designs CNC - Black - I've always been a fan of these lever and had them in stock. they're beautifully engineered and in keeping with the black theme!

Shifters: Dependant on drivetrain choice.... Geared/1x8 or SS
Front Derailleur: Dependant on drivetrain choice.... Geared/1x8 or SS
Rear Derailleur: Dependant on drivetrain choice.... Geared/1x8 or SS
Derailleur Cables: Dependant on drivetrain choice.... Geared/1x8 or SS
Cassette: Dependant on drivetrain choice.... Geared/1x8 or SS
Chain: Dependant on drivetrain choice.... Geared/1x8 or SS
Cranks: Race Face Turbine I Beam - My current favourite cranks, for me these are the ultimate blend of style and durability.
Crank Bolts: SRP Alu - Decent quality 90's bling but in black!
Chainrings: Need Help with this one...... any suggestions?
Chainring bolts: SRP Alu - Decent quality 90's bling but in black!
Bottom Bracket: Shimano M730 - May change this for something a little more lightweight... I love them but they're real heavy!
Pedals: Not sure yet..... may go for some period flats or clip/strap pedals......

Hub Skewers: Gonzo Titanium Mudslinger Ratchets - Super rare and super light titanium lovelyness!
Rims: Mavic X117 SUP - Great rims but a little too modern, will have the decals removed and perhaps some period ones fitted.
Hubs: Hope Titanium - Ultralight Front/Ti Glide Rear - Fantastic hubs, titanium bodies and silver alu flanges. ultralight front is probably not ideal with the sus forks, but they look lovely and are super light!
Nipples:
Spokes:
Tyres: Ritchey Duro - Awesome tyres, look and ride great
Tubes: Continental - what I had around!

Saddle: Specialized/WTB Prolong Ti - My dream saddle back in 1992 (If i were to dream about saddles!) super light and super comfy.
Seatpost: Bontrager/Titec - Came with the frame, it's fairly light and I like it.... so its staying!
Seatpost Binder: Bontrager - Standard CNC Bontrager clamp with rubber gaiter. simple and effective.

Got some lovely parts lined up for this, including a NOS Specialized/WTB prolong Titanium saddle. These cost about £75 back in 1992!

Photo stolen from Bikepro!

Also picked up a set of skewers that I've been looking for for a looooong time. These are Gonzo Mudslinger Ratchet skewers. For those who haven't come across these, they can only be operated with the mini ratchet spanner as the bolt is not a regular allen key fitting, but an octagonal shape. They are superb quality and weigh 54g for the pair!

These should help my lightweight mission and make the wheels a bit less stealable!

Please excuse the generic photos, tried to take some decent ones last night, but I need daylight to get some that I'm happy with!

Latest posts

Back