Another Klunker build

sandmangts

Senior Retro Guru
After a long search I finally found a frame similar to my Mercury although it is an Elgin. The geometry and measurements are the same and it has the same flowing lines. The only difference is the rear dropouts which are dropstand dropouts.

As you can see it is just like my Mercury:
IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

I went ahead and cold set the 110mm spacing to 135, I find that using a 2x4 sucks because they flex so much but this steel counter weight is perfect.
IMG_0032.jpg

IMG_0033.jpg

Re-aligning the dropouts was pretty easy using a milling vise. I got lucky and got the alignment perfect on the first try. The key is to be gentle and do it in small increments measuring often.
IMG_0038.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg

IMG_0035.jpg

Trimming and tapping the dropouts for a derailler was not as hard as I expected:
IMG_6086.jpg

IMG_6085.jpg

Tapping:
IMG_6087.jpg

Testing:
IMG_6088.jpg

Trimming:
IMG_6089.jpg

Final shape:
IMG_6090.jpg

Love these builds which have some enginerring work done on them. Great to see.

Expect im alone but I think that would look cool with modern parts on it.

I have 2 really great bike shops that have used parts available and they are always very cheap. I found 2 straight Araya 7x front wheels and a tandem rear wheel with an Atom drum and a 5 speed cluster. The drum was filthy but the internals are in near perfect shape, no rust and the pads are not worn at all. I am also experimenting with making some truss rods out of some scrap aluminum rod I got from the surplus bin at the metal supply shop. Paid 3 bucks for it. I know the Deerhead parts are not exactly correct for a klunker but they work so well that I really want to use them.
IMG_6134.jpg

IMG_6135.jpg

IMG_6132.jpg

IMG_6133.jpg

IMG_6161.jpg

IMG_6160.jpg

IMG

lol @ truss rods
made some up for some 1" forks for a secret project i have going on
i may even finish it , the forks are done tho

Back