Work in motion - GT RTS

mattbrown

Retrobike Rider
Kona Fan
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Got this bike a few weeks ago, stripped it down, rebuilt the 1998 Z3's that had lying around, had been dismantled for about 5 years, (still have all the parts)and gonna get the frame resprayed, i think British Racing Green (ish) main frame and gold rear stays and fork lower legs, who knows what ill add as componentry, id like to get hold of the Tioga Disk drive, and possibly spin front wheel.

Attachments

• IMG_0027.jpg
    IMG_0027.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 1,454
Oh and this was what it looked like before, inc a seattube tighened up enough (read crushed) to hold a 25.4mm one, using a old 1 1/8" quilled stem, i managed to expand it (touch wood it will hopefully not fail in that area), also the dude who had this i think had his wheels nicked (poss the seat and seatpost), cuz of the wrong size and also the wheel were bolt ons and the rear was 6 speed.

Attachments

• df14_3.JPG
    df14_3.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 1,447
That's gonna be nice.

Shame to paint over that anodising though, Ink blue is the sexiest colour I've seen a bike in. :cool: I'm not sure about a disk drive either, it's a bit too retro for that frame, and I'm not sure it would look right. :? Spins though, now ya talkin'! :D

It isnt anodizing, just indigo sort of blue, i just wanna disk drive cuz since seeing one in the flesh, id always lusted after one. Alloy rear stay.

Was thinking of sending it off to Argoscycles to get it resprayed, unless someone can suggest anyone better?

I like the existing colour personally, but thats just my opinion.

You've got a great project on your hands there, looking forward to seeing the work in progress.

Are you going for STX as the 3 was issued with, or just whatever takes your fancy? I say slip some LX/XT on it!

I am toying with putting a Disco on my 2, but still in the thinking stages at the moment. I'm worried about it spoiling the good looks of the RTS so am keen to see yours if you do it ;)

Im thinking some retro DX, mixing old with new, i have a set of HS33 to stick on it as well, glad i kept them, also maybe aim for GT branded stuff

British racing green would look unbelievable IMHO. Taking cues from the classic british sports cars would look sensational.

Personally though, I'd mate it to a silver rear end and go with some simple conventional wheels. I reckon British Racing Green looks best when mated to classic, understated, machinery.

Just my opinion - I'm not British so perhaps I shouldn't be commenting? :?

Silver would look good, but if i went for that then i would want it polished rather than sprayed, so i think gold would be the next best thing, i remember owning a '94 Lavadome, and that was similar to BRG, and i had a gold DCD which look sweet, but if you go here http://www.argoscycles.com/ and check out the colour chart, thats what i'm working with.

Numbers 47 and 20 i think would look good.

Back