Koga-Miyata SkyExpension

Elev12k

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
I think I introduced it briefly long ago. I made some modifications, so up again: my SkyExpension.

This SkyExpension is basicly the same frame as Greg Herbold's 1993 NORBA DH winning Miyata Elevation 12,000. The front triangle looks and is pretty similar to that of Miyata's hardtails: 3 carbon tubes, a unique strong bonding proces and cast aluminium lugs. It is quite light and has a slooping toptube. The tail is welded aluminium. The pivot points and swing links are positioned and designed in such way that the suspension acts with progressive resistance. The damper unit is develloped in close cooperation with Yahama. The Japanese and Greg put a lot engineering effort in this frame.

The frame shows a red to blue fade. It is a kind of strong 'electric' red and blue. The same effect shows the green ano of the DH3 fork. The original fork is a RondWP Hydro Pro, what is a very nice and good fork, but when building I had this just serviced DH3 ready within reach.

Brief specs:
Marzocchi DH3
Race Face EX Ti (I think these were built by Chris Dekerf)
Syncros Ti bar, Onzas
Race Face XY
Sup Ceramics
Graftons, Odyssey boosters
XTR

If you bought one new in this spec it would have set you back around 10,000 guilders or more. A pricey piece, so a rare gem.

I hope you like.

6825606247_f52c464531_b.jpg

6825626229_a2c807bdd0_z.jpg

6825621979_fee985e030_z.jpg

6825620019_54ce7056a5_z.jpg

6825609807_db085de24b_z.jpg

Both Miyata and Koga-Miyata weren't properly (if not at all) represented in UK, so I think mags like MBUK didn't see the point of paying much attention to them.

In MBA or German BIKE you could encounter them quite regularly, in reviews or in articles with Greg. In Tread you can also spot them.

greg28720.jpg

Very nice i was just thinking before you added this pic mit you be changing to some red suspension forks like some DH Judys

Very nice sus mate :cool:

Cool! Very nice frame, added with great stuff. Very "Herbold' I think, all the different colours.
How about some gripshifts and cnc brake levers?

I love the way it still looks like a bicycle. One of the few things stopping me blowing thousands on a new bike is the fact they look like a motorbike that someone has removed the engine from.

How much travel does it have?

Thank you all for the kind words

racer x":zpsxvwbq said:
Very nice i was just thinking before you added this pic mit you be changing to some red suspension forks like some DH Judys

Very nice sus mate :cool:

I could imagine fitting a SL Ti, but I not a fan of the Judys personally. They would lack in quality appeal imo. Besides Judy red is more dull.

I didn't try to build a Herbold replica. A kind gent offered me NOS Diskdrives for it while ago. Looks cool, but I don't want the hassle. This wheel is superior.

To make it a Herbold replica other core elements that should be replaced are the Race Face and Syncros parts. For Ringle and Answer. Gorilla boosters instead of Odyssey, Onza tires instead of DH Magics and so on.

Rio":gsibigex said:
Cool! Very nice frame, added with great stuff. Very "Herbold' I think, all the different colours.
How about some gripshifts and cnc brake levers?

The complete colourbomb sure is Herbold :) Maybe his bikes were a bit wilder even. He also mixed colours of individual parts. Notice below hub.

I have a pair Grafton Re-Entrys in the colour of the cantis. Maybe some day... :p

H-BallMiyataElevation12.jpg

Back