Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:07 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:52 pm 
Retro Guru

Location: I know where the stash is – the secret's safe with me. The flying squad will never find us...
Love the work that's gone into this one. Very classy looking Orange, particularly with the gloss black F7s on.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:54 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

groovyblueshed wrote:
Love the work that's gone into this one. Very classy looking Orange, particularly with the gloss black F7s on.

Cheers :D Pity the F7's are gone then....... :oops: :wink:

Virtually finished again, waiting on delivery of new saddle and grips, though, so 99% finished now.......

Last edited by Dossa on Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:49 am 
Retro Guru

Location: I know where the stash is – the secret's safe with me. The flying squad will never find us...
The F7s were very classy, but I stand corrected – those Pace forks take it to another level, they look the business!
Like the SpIashbacks – I'm hoping to find a pair myself soon.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:05 am 

Hi Matty-

This is a great thread. Inspirational in fact!
I have a '96 P7 which I converted to single speed and use for commuting.
It is looking very tired so I was thinking about the options ie re-plating or powder coating. - but a powder coated P7 just isn't a P7 anymore to me.

I now discover the bacofoil trick!

-It seems to work wonders - but did you use any other methods in the rusty bits ? mine is quite rusty in the bottom bracket area. I cant imagine bacofoil will do much here but your frame seems to be completely clear of rust after the rub-down.
Possibly I may end up (reluctantly) using brush-on silver hammerite in the small areas affected, as a complete re-plating would be out of budget.

- but your advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Richard

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:01 pm 
Retro Guru

What saddle did you get in the end? I quite like a coloured saddle myself, but it is so hard to get just the right shade.

Great build BTW, and I like the way it's evolving through different phases in its (your?) life. I have recently set my heart on a mid to late '90s steel Orange for my next restoration :D, but I have to sell my Palisades Trail first :(.

Regards

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:14 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

orangep7guy wrote:
Hi Matty-

This is a great thread. Inspirational in fact!
I have a '96 P7 which I converted to single speed and use for commuting.
It is looking very tired so I was thinking about the options ie re-plating or powder coating. - but a powder coated P7 just isn't a P7 anymore to me.

I now discover the bacofoil trick!

-It seems to work wonders - but did you use any other methods in the rusty bits ? mine is quite rusty in the bottom bracket area. I cant imagine bacofoil will do much here but your frame seems to be completely clear of rust after the rub-down.
Possibly I may end up (reluctantly) using brush-on silver hammerite in the small areas affected, as a complete re-plating would be out of budget.

- but your advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Richard

Hi Rich, I think I must have touched lucky with my frame as after removing all the lacquer and rust spots I just polished it up and had it re-lacquered whereas some have had issues with the nickel playing being brittle. Mine's by no means perfect, a few rust spots here and there underneath the lacquer etc.

A few use nitromors as well, seems to do the job by all accounts. There's lots of threads on here about polishing nickel frames, I did it a long winded way but happy enough in the end!

Cheers :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:18 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Exeter Man wrote:
What saddle did you get in the end? I quite like a coloured saddle myself, but it is so hard to get just the right shade.

Great build BTW, and I like the way it's evolving through different phases in its (your?) life. I have recently set my heart on a mid to late '90s steel Orange for my next restoration :D, but I have to sell my Palisades Trail first :(.

Regards

Charge spoon with red logo in the end, however I gave the Flite a real going over and it looks much better now, I may even stick with it :facepalm:

Rides really well now, very fast and it took me a while to get used to the risers, feels like riding a motorbike at times! Bombproof frames that are easy to pick up, so look forward to your build matey :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:55 pm 
Old School Hero

Don't suppose you still have the f7 forks by chance?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:24 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Tatsunoko wrote:
Don't suppose you still have the f7 forks by chance?

Long gone, sorry boyo :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:41 pm 
Old School Hero

no probs - just starting a 97 P7 re-nickel rebuild (the the c16r will have to wait in the shed!) - If it turns out anywhere as clean as your one I'll be happy as a pig in mud :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next