Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:37 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:35 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Inspired by the content of this forum, I've embarked on a journey to rebuild (and restore) a 1991 Alpinestars Cro-Mega DX.

In the beginning (early 2011), there was an eBay purchase of a frame/fork/stem/bar:

The seller advertised it with a seized BB, so I knew in advance what I was letting myself in for. Having perused the site to learn the dark art of BB removal, I set to work using various methods, including Plusgas (which didn't work) and soaking it for days in Coca-Cola (which didn't work either but did amuse my children).

Having failed to shift the BB one iota at home, it was time to see my friends at In-Gear Cycle Sport in Uckfield. Into the workshop we went. Into the vice went the frame (and BB removal tool). Everything was securely, er, secured. Strong hands grasped the frame, and turning began. This was the result:

One sheared vice. One BB still sitting firmly/happily in the frame. And some profanity. Quite a lot of profanity actually. I left it with them, with instructions to get it out somehow. Which they did, with a lot of heat and a lot more profanity. Success (of sorts)! The act of removal revealed corrosion between the BB shell and downtube, and it looked as though my project (which I'd been happily gathering components for in the meantime) was doomed from the outset.

With a heavy heart (and a soon-to-be-lighter wallet), I asked the guys at In-Gear what my best option was. After they'd finished laughing and pointing at the scrap bin, their suggestion was "send it to Argos Racing Cycles in Bristol and see what they can do". So, that's what I did. And this is the result:

I'm rather pleased with the result (to the point where I lost the power of speech for several minutes upon opening the box last Wednesday). The BB shell and downtube were replaced, the frame stripped and resprayed (as was the stem), and a set of Gil's decals applied/lacquered. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery: which is why Mark's stunning (in my eyes) Cro-Mega SS was the guide from which I instructed Argos to work. Cheap? Hell, NO. Worth it? Probably not. The wrong decision to 'rescue'? Nope, not as far as I'm concerned!

What next? I need to finish tracking down the components: I'd REALLY like to find a NOS (or VGC) ATAC stem (silver), a NOS DX seatpost (and suitable collar), Hyperlite bars and a saddle. I'd welcome any suggestions from forum members, as a second opinion is always helpful. My wheel choice is also something I'm deliberating: part of me wants to be faithful to the period, while another part says do something neo-retro involving black Mavic rims mated to the NOS DX hubs already in my possession. Decisions, decisions.

Thanks for looking/reading. If all goes to plan - which it won't, but I live in hope - I'll provide another update in a week or so (once I've investigated vapour blasting the various non-NOS pieces I've purchased to date).

It's my first retro MTB build. It might be my last. I don't profess to be an expert (retro/evo MX bikes are my background). I'm GUARANTEED to get something wrong (so go easy on me when I do). Heck, I might not even ride it when I'm finished. But as a project, it's been interesting so far...

Alex

Last edited by AK74 on Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:47 pm 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider

:shock:

wow love it

staying tuned for more

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:47 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Location: Gorleston-on-sea (If there is a bright center to the universe this is place furthest from it
That is simply awesome work, it looks like a factory fresh frameset sat there...... :shock: 8)

As for the build.... as the song says 'If it makes you happy then it can't be bad.'...

There is just one thing I hope that after spending all that money that you don't replace those lovely rigid forks :wink:

Good luck with the build and enjoy it :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:51 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader

yep, amazing work, and what a fantastic outcome on that frame. :shock: :shock:

awe inspiring of what can be achieved with determination and a healthy wallet.. 8) 8)

Looking forward to seeing the complete bike, fully built.. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:58 pm 
Old School Grand Master

AK74 wrote:
It's my first retro MTB build. It might be my last.
........................................................................Image.....................and the rest!

Last edited by We_are_Stevo on Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:00 am 

I think I preferred the yellow.

Only joking. Wow. Dont even want to think what that cost!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:04 am 
Old School Grand Master

...certainly a stunning debut, that's for sure 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:13 am 
Retro Guru

That is simply stunning. A credit to your determination.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:20 am 
Classified Mod / Lincs, East and South Yorks AEC
Classified Mod / Lincs, East and South Yorks AEC

Looking forward to more updates on an amazing project.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:48 am 
Retro Guru

WOW!

That's beautiful..

(Did you have to help pay for that Vice BTW?)