Corratec Heresy Build Thread

rogerthecat

Dirt Disciple
Hi All.
acquired a Corratec Team Bow frame and pair of Judys.
Paint was mess on the frame so decision made to build "Frankenbike II" to go with the Cindercone.

For info: was quited all sorts of money for stripping the frame and looked into everything from nut-shell blasting to acid dipping, then painting to stove enamelling - experts ranged on all sides as to which was best and which would wreck the frame's integrity.
Invoked the law of tight fisted Yorkshireman and went for the budget route.
Used POR15 Stripper - absolutely incredible - 2 coats and a gentle scrape with an old credit card, rinse with cold water and job jobbed. (£15 per can and you get a nifty little sprayer to apply it into all those hard to reach places - eyes, open cuts etc)

Pics below of frame before and frame after.

I have contacted Corratec for some tech info but nothing forthcoming re seat tube dia, bottom bracket size, etc so I can start gathering parts - anyone on here got any info?

Will keep the post updated as I beg, steal or borrow bits to build it into a budget super lightweight hill chomper (and yes it will be singlespeed - I am addicted)

BEFORE:
317891_10150396700298234_527263233_8442110_1478051794_n.jpg

AFTER:
400491_10150551208683234_527263233_8969111_501400659_n.jpg

I love these bikes!
I hope your going to repaint original colours? That was one of the cool things about them :D
Pretty forward thinking company though, running disc brakes when everyone was still using V's, semi slick MTB tyres when everyone was running full tread. Plus I loved their drop bars :D

To answer your questions in order:

I hope your going to repaint original colours? That was one of the cool things about them

Sorry, no - budget won't stretch to that, any money being spent is to make it light and go fast so home respray the order of the day.

Pretty forward thinking company though, running disc brakes when everyone was still using V's, semi slick MTB tyres when everyone was running full tread. Plus I loved their drop bars

Would love to put some original discs back on, but cannot find any anywhere, the mount is quite bizarrely placed between the seat and chainstay so I am using a modified bracket to enable a more modern arrangement.

All the other kit going on here will be chosen for it's balance of budget and lightness to get the most out of the frame. Having ridden MTBs since 1990 I like the modern tech but hate the huge weight gains and ridiculous costs involved so this route offers a nice compromise.

Maga you could be the answer to my prayers.

Nice showroom condition bike.

Any chance that you know the spec for the bottom bracket and seat tube diameter?
Have tried a vernier gauge and several seatposts but struggling to find the correct fit.
And if you know of a source for the original rear calipers/disc that would be brilliant.

merckx":1tynkt3e said:
leave her natural silver and get some repro decals in loud colours i reckon.

Thats a great idea! Saves money on the respray, keeps a nod to the original paint and means that if funds allow sometime in the future a proper job can be done easily. I think it'd look ace!

Pic have gone BTW.

Odd I can still see the pics on here, or did you mean on the other thread?

That's worthy of consideration - decals then a quick overspray with a clear coat - hmmm......

Anyone know where I can get decals for Corratec - most sources on here and the web have everything but Corratec?

rogerthecat":1qrd1ian said:
Maga you could be the answer to my prayers.

Nice showroom condition bike.

Any chance that you know the spec for the bottom bracket and seat tube diameter?
Have tried a vernier gauge and several seatposts but struggling to find the correct fit.
And if you know of a source for the original rear calipers/disc that would be brilliant.

let me check that for you - could take some time, as bike is at my mum's house and she's a bit away from me - hope its not that urgent.

the calipers are sort of difficult to find, as Forumula made them for Corratec and in 97 the spec. was not IS or something like that - very special and hard to get hold of. Sometimes ebay.de offer used sets of them, but for quite silly money.

decals are also not so easy the get, as Corratec themself are not very helpful when you want something for their "old" range. They dont even have old brochures from their bikes. Found the stuff I have from various helpful members from german bike forums.

Maybe you could ask Gil over here if he could do some decals if I'm going to give him pics. and dimensions of the ones which are on my Team Bow. dont guess he have one at his archive :roll:

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back