Manatou III fork with liquid elastomers

aardvarkash10

Devout Dirtbag
yuck... Liquid overstates it - think very soft chewing gum...

Anyone got thoughts on a solvent that will remove the goo from inside he fork legs, but not destroy everything else?

tried and failed so far:

kerosene (paraffin to some of you)
methylated spirits
clearlite (white spirits)
CRC 556
floor cleaner (ammonia based)
liquid detergent

The search goes on...

Soak them in repeated applications of washing-up liquid and boiling water;

This is not just some random suggestion, it works, it's how I do it, other people on here have followed my advice and successfully refurb'd their fork.

The methods you have tried so far will just harden the material; boiling water softens it and you can just pour it out. The washing-up liquid helps but beware, what comes out sticks to everything so use an old plastic bowl... ;)

We_are_Stevo":2wydttcz said:

This is not just some random suggestion, it works, it's how I do it, other people on here have followed my advice and successfully refurb'd their fork.

The methods you have tried so far will just harden the material; boiling water softens it and you can just pour it out. The washing-up liquid helps but beware, what comes out sticks to everything so use an old plastic bowl... ;)

yes, this really works!!

We_are_Stevo":1s6va8hc said:

My English to Canadian converter is telling me "washing-up liquid" is the same as dish washing soap. Have I got that right? :oops: sorry

trail_head":1vkj7xs2 said:
My English to Canadian converter is telling me "washing-up liquid" is the same as dish washing soap. Have I got that right? :oops: sorry

:D Pretty sure that's what it means!

Tousi":c3xbx8pq said:
trail_head":c3xbx8pq said:

...as in '...so hands that do dishes can be soft as your face, mild green, Fairy Liquid...' :LOL:

We_are_Stevo":2540kge2 said:
Tousi":2540kge2 said:
trail_head":2540kge2 said:

...as in '...so hands that do dishes can be soft as your face, mild green, Fairy Liquid...' :LOL:

Right then, Fairy Liquid it is! :LOL:

To the o/p; Your timing is spot on, I've just yesterday started scratching my head about how I would remove the melted goo in the bottom of my Manitou 2 rear fork.

Thanks much,

Timothy

Latest posts

Back