Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:05 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:17 am 
Devout Dirtbag

Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:56 am
Posts: 118
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
yuck... Liquid overstates it - think very soft chewing gum...

Anyone got thoughts on a solvent that will remove the goo from inside he fork legs, but not destroy everything else?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:36 am 
Devout Dirtbag

Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:56 am
Posts: 118
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
tried and failed so far:

kerosene (paraffin to some of you)
methylated spirits
clearlite (white spirits)
CRC 556
floor cleaner (ammonia based)
liquid detergent

The search goes on...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:56 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:14 am
Posts: 1871
Location: Kuranda DH circa 1991
automotive 'wax and grease remover" perhaps?

http://www.recochem.com.au/index.php/pr ... se_remover


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:59 am 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider
User avatar

Joined: Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:03 pm
Posts: 11796
Location: Returning
petrol /diesel ?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:43 am 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:10 am
Posts: 4756
Location: Heathfield, East Sussex
Soak them in repeated applications of washing-up liquid and boiling water;

This is not just some random suggestion, it works, it's how I do it, other people on here have followed my advice and successfully refurb'd their fork.

The methods you have tried so far will just harden the material; boiling water softens it and you can just pour it out. The washing-up liquid helps but beware, what comes out sticks to everything so use an old plastic bowl... :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:05 pm 
PoTM Winner / retrobike rider
PoTM Winner / retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:58 pm
Posts: 2105
Location: Best part of Holland
We_are_Stevo wrote:
Soak them in repeated applications of washing-up liquid and boiling water;

This is not just some random suggestion, it works, it's how I do it, other people on here have followed my advice and successfully refurb'd their fork.

The methods you have tried so far will just harden the material; boiling water softens it and you can just pour it out. The washing-up liquid helps but beware, what comes out sticks to everything so use an old plastic bowl... :wink:


yes, this really works!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:55 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:24 pm
Posts: 456
Location: Toronto, Canada
We_are_Stevo wrote:
Soak them in repeated applications of washing-up liquid and boiling water;

This is not just some random suggestion, it works, it's how I do it, other people on here have followed my advice and successfully refurb'd their fork.

The methods you have tried so far will just harden the material; boiling water softens it and you can just pour it out. The washing-up liquid helps but beware, what comes out sticks to everything so use an old plastic bowl... :wink:


My English to Canadian converter is telling me "washing-up liquid" is the same as dish washing soap. Have I got that right? :oops: sorry


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:37 pm 
Dirt Disciple
User avatar

Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:08 pm
Posts: 81
trail_head wrote:
My English to Canadian converter is telling me "washing-up liquid" is the same as dish washing soap. Have I got that right? :oops: sorry


:D Pretty sure that's what it means!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:25 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:10 am
Posts: 4756
Location: Heathfield, East Sussex
Tousi wrote:
trail_head wrote:
My English to Canadian converter is telling me "washing-up liquid" is the same as dish washing soap. Have I got that right? :oops: sorry


:D Pretty sure that's what it means!


...as in '...so hands that do dishes can be soft as your face, mild green, Fairy Liquid...' :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:37 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:24 pm
Posts: 456
Location: Toronto, Canada
We_are_Stevo wrote:
Tousi wrote:
trail_head wrote:
My English to Canadian converter is telling me "washing-up liquid" is the same as dish washing soap. Have I got that right? :oops: sorry


:D Pretty sure that's what it means!


...as in '...so hands that do dishes can be soft as your face, mild green, Fairy Liquid...' :lol:


Right then, Fairy Liquid it is! :lol:

To the o/p; Your timing is spot on, I've just yesterday started scratching my head about how I would remove the melted goo in the bottom of my Manitou 2 rear fork.

Thanks much,

Timothy


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 30 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group