Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:46 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:33 am 

trail_head wrote:
Hi Retrobike,

I've been lurking here for a while but, never had a retro project before this one.

I recently found this bike in a clients garage. It had been sitting for a very long time. They were happy to have me haul it away! My lucky day!

I've done some research and now know about the history and heat treating issues which can lead to cracking. Mine does have a small crack in the head tube. In the past I've had no issues welding cracks in my aluminum frames.
Has anyone here welded one of these bikes and did it last? Also, I'm wondering if after welding the crack, I had it heat treated again, would it last longer?
I'll update this thread as I go along with the restoration.

Thanks much,
Timothy

I've been building and fabricating with Aluminum for a very long time . I recently welded my son's Cannondale frame for the third time. Bottom bracket cracking around front drop tube. after I weld any of the aluminum frame be it motorcycle or bicycle or any other racing parts. I've never had a weld fail or weakening of the original frames integrity.
I preheat my parts to be welded, I fing this to make getting a good solid weld easier. Please let me know how you turnout with this project..
B

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:02 am 
Retro Guru

BKnucklehead wrote:
I've been building and fabricating with Aluminum for a very long time . I recently welded my son's Cannondale frame for the third time. Bottom bracket cracking around front drop tube. after I weld any of the aluminum frame be it motorcycle or bicycle or any other racing parts. I've never had a weld fail or weakening of the original frames integrity.
I preheat my parts to be welded, I fing this to make getting a good solid weld easier. Please let me know how you turnout with this project..
B

Nice to hear a positive reflection on welding cracked frames for a change. Generally there seems to be a lot of doubts and negativity on the subject.

Cheers :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:11 pm 
Retro Guru

beepbeep wrote:
BKnucklehead wrote:
I preheat my parts to be welded, I find this to make getting a good solid weld easier. Please let me know how you turnout with this project..
B

Generally there seems to be a lot of doubts and negativity on the subject.

Cheers :)

It's funny that. I think it's root is in "fear of the unknown."
Welding is not a black art. I've welded everything from bike frames to airplane wings. If the engineers say it's good, it's good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:30 pm 
Windmilling for a Scotch Egg
Windmilling for a Scotch Egg

This is the best of RB, fixing things to a great standard that most people would throw away - nice work!! Remember to take pics as you go along and post them here as there are a lot of people interested.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:50 pm 
Retro Guru

BKnucklehead wrote:
I preheat my parts to be welded, I find this to make getting a good solid weld easier. Please let me know how you turnout with this project..
B[/b]

Interesting. In the case of this frame, 7005 Alu, solution hardened to T-6 as a tubeset and then artificially aged after welding, I thought it best(after getting opinions from several knowledgeable chaps, including the aerospace company that treated these frames bitd) to keep heat to a minimum. To that end, the welder was in and out very quickly. The frame will now "age" for several months, thanks to the Canadian winter, before it gets any stress.
Thanks for the encouragement, I fully expect some negativity from the armchair engineers for this part of the build.

Thanks,
Cheers,
TC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:42 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

inspiring work and commitment to bringing this back to life. and a native local to boot! ;)

sending you a PM to discuss welding repairs.

Post subject: repair
PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:05 pm 
Retro Guru

Seen this on Martin's website so that will end all the discussions :wink:

http://www.secondspincycles.com/2012/01 ... pdate.html

Post subject: final welding update
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:32 pm 
Retro Guru

Today I acid dipped her to remove all the original clear anodizing.
The picture is of the side of the headtube which had three cracks repaired.
It's pretty close to done(welding), I'll fuss about with it just a tic more and then off she goes to polishing and anodizing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:02 pm 
BoTM Winner / Gold Trader
BoTM Winner / Gold Trader

Like I said, I know where there's a NOS frame that's missing the rear yoke if you want to circumvent the welding/finishing/anodizing/restickering process.

Last edited by FMJ on Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: final welding update
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:07 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

trail_head wrote:
Today I acid dipped her to remove all the original clear anodizing.
The picture is of the side of the headtube which had three cracks repaired.
It's pretty close to done(welding), I'll fuss about with it just a tic more and then off she goes to polishing and anodizing.

:shock: Wow, that's an ACE job there! Really loving the effort put forth in the restoration! How's about the BB?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 12  Next