1993 Answer Manitou System FS

trail_head

Retro Guru
Hi Retrobike,

I've been lurking here for a while but, never had a retro project before this one.

I recently found this bike in a clients garage. It had been sitting for a very long time. They were happy to have me haul it away! My lucky day!

I've done some research and now know about the history and heat treating issues which can lead to cracking. Mine does have a small crack in the head tube. In the past I've had no issues welding cracks in my aluminum frames.
Has anyone here welded one of these bikes and did it last? Also, I'm wondering if after welding the crack, I had it heat treated again, would it last longer?
I'll update this thread as I go along with the restoration.

Thanks much,
Timothy

photo1-2.jpg

photo-4.jpg

You got given this??? :shock: :shock: :shock:

You struck gold there :cool: :cool: :cool:

So you have yourself an Early Manitou FS
and it's only cracked at the headtube ?

Can't advise you on the welding though, but only on the head tube and not everywhere else you can think of is quite lucky.

could try posting in the MTB chat with the title
welding my Manitou FS up...
or something like that.

FluffyChicken":1eyzx1u9 said:
So you have yourself an Early Manitou FS
and it's only cracked at the headtube ?

Can't advise you on the welding though, but only on the head tube and not everywhere else you can think of is quite lucky.

could try posting in the MTB chat with the title
welding my Manitou FS up...
or something like that.

I've been told that the early ones were less prone to cracking than later models as they used thicker tubing.

Oh, and to the OP - You LUCKY b**tard!!!

i'd aneal it before welding
then bring it back to t6 after welding

i often think non cracked easton frames would benefit from re- heat treating

Continued:

Thanks Mikee for the anealing idea. I'll talk to the best guys around here to find the best approach.

I took a closer look at the bike this aft. I found more cracks :(
It has a full XT build kit with XTR front hub and front derailleur. Rear hub is DX. The seat looks out of place, I'll need to change that.

More pics;
Turns out it was built April 16, 1993; (Note the crack to the left)
93manitou002.jpg

It has a dent and crack on the down tube just up from the bb;
93manitou004.jpg

The previously mentioned crack in the head tube;
93manitou005.jpg

What do you think, should I hang it on the wall? Fix it? build a new front triangle?
Thanks again for the input gents,
93manitou008.jpg

Latest posts

Back