alpinestars cromega, updated 9/12/12 page3

jonnyboy666

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
so i picked up this frame from sinnett at the xmas meet. i was going to just repaint the rear end myself but i realised it would be a pain so i decided to strip it myself and then decide what to do.

i got nearly all the paint off but then i noticed some rust coming through around the seat tube so i decided to get it done properly.

so i went to K and N finishers in portsmouth, in 4 days they stripped it, media blasted it and phoned me to tell me it was done! :shock: :D amazing speed!

i decided to go white again, mainly because i think it is a good choice for this brand but also for any stickers i'll be putting on.

haven't decide on spec yet but i have just won some manitou forks which i'll need to change the steerer on for this bike but we'll see what happens.

i have just picked it up so it still needs threads cleaning etc before i can do anything else.

here's some pics
:D

Attachments

• alpinestars1.jpg
    alpinestars1.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 1,889
  • before2.jpg
    before2.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 1,889
  • before3.jpg
    before3.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 1,889
  • before1.jpg
    before1.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 1,889
Just had a look in the shed and I have threaded 1 1/8" and 1 1/4" and alloy 1 1/4" Manitou steerers if you need a replacement (and depending on your headset/stem choice)...

Looking good, and gawd bless K N, I've not been to them for anything in over ten years.. :cool:

DON'T shim it down to 1-1/8" tho, Jon, cos that's just Heresy, imo.. :LOL:

i SHOULD get one. They ARE brilliant....
hypnotised.gif

@Gtsteve, i think i might shim it to 1 1/8, mark gave me some shims for the headtube. the reason i was thinking this is i am thinking about going neo retro as the frame doesn't have a canti hanger and most often when i see alpinestars builds everyone tends to go original-ish so i think neo retro could be fun.

@stevo, i might take you up on that, i'd need a 1 1/8 steerer assembly for this fork, i'm sure someonelese said they may have one aswel but i can't remember who said it.

anyway, this is the fork i have, seems to be in very good condition inside and out. i think it might be from an Orange as the steerer tube as it is would fit a 1" headtubed 19" clockwork frame perfectly.

:D

Attachments

• manitou forks.jpg
    manitou forks.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 1,755
I'll let you off then.... :LOL:

I know you're obsessed with having to have cantis if there's a hanger, so a neo retro ride will be cool to see...

Back