Fat Chance Shock a Billy No. 2 : 056P3SM

northerndave

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Fat Chance Shock a Billy No. 2
Unknown year, but probably a 93/94. Unknown size, but again probably a M.

So this is going to be a project:

IMG_5567.jpg

You probably saw it in the sale thread a while ago. I decided to take a punt and see what materialised fully expecting a lot of work. It may still be the case..

So the build/rebuild begins... Pulled it out of it's box and had a good look over it.

It's in fair condition really, nothing seems cracked or bent, just really dirty. aim is to now fully strip and review from there..

Ringle bits have been polished removing the Turquoise which is a bit annoying but all good. Now all for sale if you;re interested . Contact points are trash really, the bars and stem are for the bin i think as are the shifters and levers.

Some interesting bits.. The Rear end seems to be a B3 and has a very short shock, hence the inclusion of the home made frame mount. the rear end does seem solid though, haven;t found any cracks yet. Brilliantly it came with an older and crucially longer shock so this should be usable. It's got the original TWP/Fat City brace which is awesome. The Judy's have the original SL steerer which is really great as finding 1 inch crowns has always been tricky and I have another really, really nice Judy to drop on the front in place of these.

Next step is to strip it down and get a closer look at everything. Most parts are for the sell off. I think I've got enough parts to build back up into a nice rider.

DSC_8298.jpg

DSC_8299.jpg

DSC_8300.jpg

DSC_8301.jpg

DSC_8302.jpg

Got this pretty much down to it's bare frame now. I've refitted the original shock and removed the extra mount plate, geometry seems to be now back to how it was out of the factory. Still believe the rear end s B3 but seems OK. I think the currently fitted shock is a B2. Brion at Amp has nicely provided me with some shock details to help identify components.

DSC_8328.jpg

Hey, how's that Noleen Shock? I have a spare if you want it? £Gratis of course.. Have a bunch of fittings for it too..

kingroon":npzko2z0 said:
Hey, how's that Noleen Shock? I have a spare if you want it? £Gratis of course.. Have a bunch of fittings for it too..

Shock seems OK. Needs an oil change though so will know more after that. I'll PM you about those spares though.

I gave everything a good clean down last night so will have so dry run pics up in a bit. Fully cleaned and Waxoyled the seat tube which turned out to be really clean.

I bought a whole AMP doner frame last week in a little bit too much haste. Might swap the rear ends over to the SAB is a full B2 rear.

Watch this space.

Had some time this weekend to put together a tester build to make sure everything was working OK.. Nice basic build :p XTR M900, Graftons + ActionTec Ti rings, Syncros and Renthal.. Having gone out on a little test ride this evening I'm really pleased. It's a really chuckable size and the shock's actually quite responsive. I think this is going to be a really nice rider.

DSC_8350.jpg

Earlier in the weekend I did some shock servicing and put fresh oil in the shock as well as in the Judy. Now just keeping an eye peeled for leaks. Fresh oil and springs in the Judys have massively improved the ride too, it all feels really plush.

Back