1991 Alpinestars Cro-mega - Build finished, 17.03.2012

dallas95

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Decided to take on a project having been inspired by some of the great builds on this site. As the bike I did most of my riding on bitd was an alpinestars al-mega dx I always really fancied getting another. But the fragility of the aluminium frame is a concern so I decided cro-mega.

Picked this up today from cromega and it will be the donor for the build.

P1010359.JPG

The plan is to paint it like a 1991 al-mega dx as I think it is the best alpinestars paint job and build it with parts from the 90's that I have kicking around. It's going to be a rider so I want v brakes and 8 speed drivetrain.

This is my al-mega back in 1991 and what I hope the cro-mega will look like once it's finished.

Alpinestars2.jpg

...yeah, talk is cheap! :LOL:

Seriously though, it was a cro-mega which began my rocky road to ruin; I now have two, plus all the other stuff I just had to have :oops:

Day 1

Stripped the frame and now ready to go to Bob Jacksons to get the seatpost out. Stripped the front wheel and cleaned the rim and hub ready for rebuild.

The story so far:
Day%2525201.jpg

Doesn't seem much for 4 hours work.

Most excellent, i put in an offer on this bike too, and was surprised to see it back on here after it sold on evilbay, someone else's loss is your gain. Are you going back to original colours?

The frame is back without the seatpost and now I can start getting the paint off the frame & forks. So thanks to all at Bob Jacksons in Leeds for a top job and quick turn around.

DSC00196.JPG

Is it a good idea to treat the inside of the tubes whilst Ive got it apart? I saw something once where someone put some kind of steel preserving fluid in a frame but I can't remember the details. :?

Back