1988 (ish) Paul Donohue - fillet brazed

So what colour would you do it then? Make my day..

• Petrol Bluey colour (sort of like the Drum tobacco pouch?)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Orange

• Light blue

• Silver

• Deep indigo/purple

• Dark Green

• Red

• Lighter 'leaf' like green

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mynchiboy

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Okay, I'll come clean! It was me that landed the Donohue bike on Ebay, mainly to fill a gap left by my old Nigel Dean. I did promise myself not to bid - really I did - but temptation overwhelmed me again :oops:

Anyways, I came back from a nice little day trip by train from the Smoke to Nottingham and back to pick it up. The chap I bought it from was great to chat to and clearly liked his bikes but I muct admit I was a little shocked when he mentioned what was at one time a plan to 'modernise it a bit' which included switching it's forks for a pair of manitous or bombers :shock:

And what did I get for my efforts? Fillet brazed goodness everywhere for a start (I especially like the detail around the fork crown and wishbone but it's all good, as they say) M730 white label XT bits including double u-brakes, as pointed out by some eagle eyed folk on the Ebay watch thread. And a reasonably good pair of some of my favourite 80's rims, Mavic Oxygen M6's :cool:

I know there a couple of Donohue built bikes owned on here so maybe somebody can fill in the gaps for me. The parts mentioned look like original which pitches the bike as from '87-'88, but the frame number is 124689 which suggests 1989 perhaps? There are no visual clues either on frame material. I'm guessing maybe Tange Prestige or Reynolds but as it's maker used various tubing I'm none the wiser.

Plan wise it's going to be a very slow burner this one - the BT yellow colour is a poor repaint that is flaking all over the place and nasty to boot IMO so I will do something I haven't done for a while and get it refinished. All the M730 on it is serviceable so there is not too as much to find over time as there could be (mainly chainset, brake levers and thumbies) - and (ahem) some period tyres. Oh, and a turbo saddle methinks.

Some pics are below. I did scrape away some of the paint on the stem to reveal some neon orange but I don't reckon it means what it could..

Attachments

• d6.JPG
    d6.JPG
    115.3 KB · Views: 2,369
  • d4.JPG
    d4.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 2,369
  • d2.JPG
    d2.JPG
    130.9 KB · Views: 2,369
  • d3.JPG
    d3.JPG
    191 KB · Views: 2,369
Jamis Diablo":1320liyb said:
Vey pretty!
The STI's aren't original are they?
Thought they were '90?

Thanks! Yep, the STI's shouldn't be there, they seem to work okay so I'll take them off and probably sell them on. This should be wearing 6 speed XT thumbies and the 4 finger brake levers :)

Great score that, especially love the forks and stem. Any idea on the brand / grade of steel?

the_duke":1iafl0td said:
Great score that, especially love the forks and stem. Any idea on the brand / grade of steel?

No idea fella...I've a theory that it could be prestige or reynolds but I'm only going on other MTB frames built by Donohue that I know of. I'm hoping that somebody on here can shed light on it..

Luverleee :cool:

Would the orange showing through the chip in the yellow on the stem be the original colour?

I likes orange me :LOL:

so it was you I was bidding against...

135093128_19ac2b4f50.jpg

legrandefromage":4ulssrt1 said:
so it was you I was bidding against...

Aha! I thought it may have been you LGF....

To be honest I thought that I would be blown out of the water by a snipe, always seems the way these days. Nearly fell off the chair when I won it..

Grannygrinder":4ulssrt1 said:
Luverleee :cool:

Would the orange showing through the chip in the yellow on the stem be the original colour?

I likes orange me :LOL:

That's what is intriguing me now! I've done a bit of scraping on the frame and fork where the paint has been trashed but these were stripped down properly before the repaint. Orange could be an option though ;)

Back