Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:25 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:51 am 
Dirt Disciple
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:47 am
Posts: 36
Location: Ontario, Canada
Very nice. Always liked the Hei Hei. That one looks in great shape. Not too sure about the purple ano though. Maybe blue ano would tone in with the decals better. Just my opinion but still like it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:24 am 
Dirt Disciple
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:47 am
Posts: 36
Location: Ontario, Canada
Oops, Double post. Please delete


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Hei Hei
PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:09 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:15 am
Posts: 7563
Location: North Yorkshire
OT-mtbr wrote:
Very nice. Always liked the Hei Hei. That one looks in great shape. Not too sure about the purple ano though. Maybe blue ano would tone in with the decals better. Just my opinion but still like it.


Yea agree, but that's the correct decals for the '97 HeiHei-King Kahuna, the standard Hei Hei had Yellow centered Decals.
Might have to swap all the 3 Dv for deep Blue :? :shock:
The Blue is dead easy to source, but purple King's and Pauls are very difficult to find.

Other point is, trying to take a good photo of £dv purple with a digi cam is impossible. In the flesh, it's all really dark, but always looks faded pinkish on a digi image :cry:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Hei Hei
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:33 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:22 pm
Posts: 2942
Location: Platsa, Messinias, Greece
Wold Ranger wrote:
Other point is, trying to take a good photo of £dv purple with a digi cam is impossible. In the flesh, it's all really dark, but always looks faded pinkish on a digi image :cry:


Do a custom white balance from a white or 18% grey card under the same light as the bike is in, photograph in diffuse light (on a dull day) and be careful not to blow any highlights on shiny components (check your histogram after a test shot and dial in some minus compensation if needed).

Or take in RAW format and adjust the colour temp. in post-processing to give you the look that you want.

I personally don't think that you've done a bad job anyway - doesn't look pink on my monitor except where the highlights have blown a bit 8).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:42 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:22 pm
Posts: 7305
Location: Hove
Just out of interest, it isn't a Hei Hei, it's a King Kahuna. The Hei Hei didn't have the gussets on the top and down tubes.

1997 King Kahunas had the same Hei Hei decals on the top tube as the Hei Hei, but it also said King Kahuna in lower case script on the seat stays, and those seat stay decals have presumably come off on your example.

The King Kahuna frames sold for £300 more than the Hei Hei, but nevertheless attracted the great majority of sales, as they were perceived to be 'better'. That may be a matter of taste, but they are slightly stiffer and heavier than the Hei Hei, so certainly better for racing.

Edit
I'm sorry, I've just noticed that you already said that! :oops:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:29 pm 
.o.T.M Triple Crown Winner
.o.T.M Triple Crown Winner
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 31, 2006 12:59 pm
Posts: 3135
Location: Sunny South of France
I love the mix purple/titanium 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:44 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:44 pm
Posts: 599
Location: Kingdom of Titanium
Very nice, Pace fork are beatyfull on this frame. :roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:26 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:15 am
Posts: 7563
Location: North Yorkshire
Anthony wrote:
Just out of interest, it isn't a Hei Hei, it's a King Kahuna. The Hei Hei didn't have the gussets on the top and down tubes.

1997 King Kahunas had the same Hei Hei decals on the top tube as the Hei Hei, but it also said King Kahuna in lower case script on the seat stays, and those seat stay decals have presumably come off on your example.

The King Kahuna frames sold for £300 more than the Hei Hei, but nevertheless attracted the great majority of sales, as they were perceived to be 'better'. That may be a matter of taste, but they are slightly stiffer and heavier than the Hei Hei, so certainly better for racing.

Edit
I'm sorry, I've just noticed that you already said that! :oops:


Yes, I actually removed the seat stay decals, as felt they looked "overkill" like an afterthought of just putting decals on for the sake of it.
The 6/4 rear triangle is quite a bit stiffer than a regular 3.25 HeiHei, but it typically still takes the sting out of the trail, as only good Ti can.
Thanks for all the kind comments guys and it's still a case of "work in progress" :oops:
Have some newer/lighter/nicer tyres on the way, have the same WTB Pure Race Carbon saddle in "all Black" so room for a bit of tinkering still :roll: :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:22 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:37 am
Posts: 3146
Location: Whiskey bent & hellbound!
Not really a fan of anodized stuff on Ti frames but I bet that rides really well :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:06 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:55 am
Posts: 7058
Location: The land of Lea & Perrins
Raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrr!!

That is all...

8) 8) 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 19 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group