1997 Specialized Rockhopper, the beginning of the obsession

Hoprocker

Dirt Disciple
Hi RetroBike forum,

Thanks to a good friend of mine, who showed me the world of RetroBike, I now am slightly obsessed with the whole thing. Having been into bikes most of my years and had all the lastest and greatest. I wanted a project (I like a project) and what better a project than a retro ride.
Found this bike on gumtree for £50 which wasn't to bad considering.
Spent minimal on it just wanted to get it ridable again, spent more time trying to remove the seized seatpost (still half of it in there). Just stripped all the components down and re built everything. I wanted to keep it almost like the 'rat look' i.e. VWs.
I also wanted to keep the original decals on it. I have the advantage of being a paint sprayer, so I just kept the paint to a minimal on the frame and re laquered the lot.
Love it, it's my ride to work

Just got my next project 88' rockhopper, courtesy of the retrobike forum, will post pics of that soon

Attachments

• bike1.jpg
    bike1.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 4,167
  • bike3.jpg
    bike3.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 4,166
  • bike4.jpg
    bike4.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 4,166
  • bike5.jpg
    bike5.jpg
    333.2 KB · Views: 4,169
love it! i would definitely fit a Judy XC from 96 or an SL. Don't ask me why, maybe its just a matter of looks and the memories it brings of some of my mates bikes from that time.. ;D

t-stoff":3cb6251i said:
love it! i would definitely fit a Judy XC from 96 or an SL. Don't ask me why, maybe its just a matter of looks and the memories it brings of some of my mates bikes from that time.. ;D

yeah quite fancy fitting some period correct suspension forks

Hoprocker":10hhqlem said:
t-stoff":10hhqlem said:

yeah quite fancy fitting some period correct suspension forks

well i don't know if its an ironic comment, as this bike is from 97 and the forks suggested being from 96, its not period correct i reckon..
my almost nonexistent memory prevents me to know witch fork it exactly had. Google wasn't a good help also..
Maybe 97s.... But being a timeless frame, and of course the "transition" between old rock shox and newer, i had the slight idea of seeing these bikes "upgraded" with the older versions from 96 and manitous...
Well nevermind;P

Back