Old rebuild Update 16/02 Almost there

isitafox

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Just found this place so I thought I'd post up my current mission.
Was planning on rebuilding my old 97 Specialized Rockhopper I snapped years ago for a bit of a play bike but I've since found the frame has been chucked so I've fallen back on an even older frame I bought probably round about 1995-6ish. I got the frame from a company that used to advertise on big fold out A2 sized leaflets in bike mags back in the day, I've no idea what they were called anymore but the frames pretty well built and aluminium.

Got a set of old Indy C long travel forks I was given which will do the job for the time being till I can afford something a little better though this build will be on a shoestring budget (think £50 max), some LX V levers with STX-RC V arms (the ones that use canti style pads), possibly the odd STX-RC front and/or rear mech, a single Shimano thumbshifter and some Azonic World Force riser bars to go on. I did originally run a full STX-RC drivetrain though the threads have gone on the cranks so they're out of the question and my wheelbuilds have been stolen for use on other bikes over the years so are no longer available.

My plan to get her fully functional again is to beg, borrow and steal the majority of parts I need, I'll probably attempt the wheelbuilds myself as they will be the major moneyspend other than maybe having to service the forks. First job will be to strip the frame and respray it at work in the next week or so, any suggestions for colour that'll go with the Indys is very welcome!

Anyway, sorry for the massive post and here's a pic of what I'll be working with!

Attachments

• reddun 2.JPG
    reddun 2.JPG
    151.5 KB · Views: 1,382
Is it a Merlin Malt frame? Should be decent enough if so.

Any colour matching of forks and farme is good in my book. What colours do you have access to? Kawasaki green or baby blue if it were my choice.

Wasn't Merlin but along those lines. Was thinking of getting it powder coated as I reckon a rattle can job will work out about the same price in the end so both possible though I like the sound of baby blue! Cheers for your input!

Shop around, local powdercoaters near me wanted £60 plus vat but I found somewhere with less choice on colours who would do it for £30 plus vat.

I would advocate a powdercoat as it last longer and does a better job really but up to you.

Yeah there's a local place I've used before for my trials bikes that do frames for £35 so will probably go there.

Well the current progress of this is as follows. I've stripped the paint off the frame and will be dropping it off later for powder coating (though I still haven't picked a colour), the Indy C's are out of the equation now as I have a set of RC36's currently in with Tim for a full service, new carbon bridges and new graphics, got a set of Mavic X221/CODA Expert wheels, Raceface Ride XC cranks, XT rear mech, XT combi V levers/shifters and some unbranded V arms. I know it's not all retro more of a mixture though the frame is so I thought I'd keep the build up in here. Will get some more pics up when the frame is painted and definately when the forks return!!
Still don't know the brand of the frame though I do know it's not a Rock Lobster.

Used to sell these in the mid 90's often from the little pamphlet insert thingies. We callled them saurus, mainly because we liked to have a chuckle on the phone when people asked "how much is a sore ass" or "I believe you are the people to speak to about sore ass products" etc etc. They were cheap, cheerful and almost indestructible. Does the gear hanger have everest stamped into it?

I'll have a look later today, it's a weird hanger with 3 screw holes across the top which I've not seen before. Be nice to get a name to go with it!

Back