1996 Kona Hot decisions decisions

Jones

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I thought I had this build sorted in my head :? Hope titanium red hubs, Curve cantis with the red bolts, Sugino Mighty chainset, and the rest XT737.

But I just hadn't thought about that extra bloody cable stop :LOL:

Whatever I do to try and fit a rear canti it looks like a weird solution to a problem that doesn't exist :?

Should I just bite the bullet and go with a dreary grey M950 build :? which would look almost identical to my Dekerf :?

I really wanted to build it with lots of silver and anodised bits but it doesn't look like its going to turn out like that now :?

I've got a NOS M950 groupset sitting here so I think I'll build it up with that and see how it looks

hotm.jpg

dreary grey NOS M950 :LOL:

Won't you have troubles up front also with canti's on those forks ?

why not XT737 V's ? I have them on my 97 Kilauea and love it with the XT737 kit :cool: (excluding levers :oops:) Linky to it in my sig

looks great already and I cant wait to see it finished :cool:

Very nice mate..looking forward to the finished product ;) ..like G.M. said xt 737 :cool:

Ernie ;)

Attachments

• explosif 2 003.jpg
    explosif 2 003.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 1,516
Don't see anything wrong with a dreary grey M950 build. That frame doesn't need all the red ano IMO, the M950 will let it speak for itself (or something).

Oh my god I am so jealous, where do you keep finding these rare old skool Kona's from Jones!

I see they are the forks you had on your 97 Kula. if you ever decide to part with them dibs please for my 97 Kula build (in progress lol)

that frame its super Gorgeous!!!!! Love it!

Gaz

Jones":17m08ua2 said:
I thought I had this build sorted in my head :? Hope titanium red hubs, Curve cantis with the red bolts, Sugino Mighty chainset, and the rest XT737.

But I just hadn't thought about that extra bloody cable stop :LOL:

Whatever I do to try and fit a rear canti it looks like a weird solution to a problem that doesn't exist :?

Should I just bite the bullet and go with a dreary grey M950 build :? which would look almost identical to my Dekerf :?

I really wanted to build it with lots of silver and anodised bits but it doesn't look like its going to turn out like that now :?

I've got a NOS M950 groupset sitting here so I think I'll build it up with that and see how it looks

hotm.jpg

Lovely frame. The grey will complement the decals so go that route. As for canti's forget them and go with v's since you have the stop. Save the collar for something else. Sorted.

but....

Do my eyes deceive me, or is the solution already on the frame?

I can't remember what Kona called it, but isn't that silver collar below the seat post clamp what they used for routing the rear canti cable in lieu of a stop that's on a bridge welded between the seatstays? The routing will leave the hanger aligned a little left on the crossover cable, but it's just a minor hassle for brake set up. No big deal.

And, ya, nice bike. I miss my old Hot, but I know it's in good hands.

what year is it Jones? im surprised to see the brake boss on the top tube.

I'd be the same as you, would be cool to see it wearing canti's..

Get some control tech or similar CNC v brakes on there, would look sweet still

Its late 96 and I still want to fit cantis but I'll only do it if I can get it to look right.

I ran out of time yesterday after building the Dekerf up but I'll have a fiddle today and see what it looks like.

Semi-school the problem I have is that it has the collar to run cantis and the cable stop to run Vs, so if I run cantis the normal way I'd have just the bare wire running through the 'extra' cable stop which looks weird :?

I think I know how I'm going to do it I just have to see if it sits right in practice.

Back