1991 Alpinestars Ti-Mega - The update 23-01-12

GT-Steve

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Ok, it's taken me the best part of 24hrs to decide whether to post this up or not, for reasons that will become apparent, but I guess there's a story to be told.

As some of you may know, I've been suffering with depression on-and-off, trying deperately to sell off almost all my bikes/frames as (in all honesty) I didn't see that I'd ever ride them.

And so last week, and a weird twist, This came up for sale, and I pounced on it.

Mark's a great guy, and I know how much this bike meant to him, so I was keen to actually have my first Ti 'rider' as well.. a deal was struck.. :cool:

And so yesterday at 11am, this arrived at GT towers, and I was shaking with anticipation as I pulled each of the split-down components from the box... :cool:

2011_1226fleet0010.jpg

With the missus out for the morning, and with tools in hand, I set about getting it into a bike shaped mass, ready for a quick 'fresh out the box' photo session... :cool:

It looked great, felt great, and I was definitely happy that I finally had something again I could use offroad, rather than an amalgam of boxes of components..

And then, I spotted this:
TiMega005Large.jpg

TiMega001Large.jpg

TiMega002Large.jpg

TiMega004Large.jpg

Naturally I was absolutely gutted, for both me and Mark actually, and I'd have to be honest and say that as I was shaking, a tear rolled out my eye.. :cry:

So I took the natural course of action, and emailed the pics straight to Mark, who again has been a star for the last 24hrs, and a few phone calls during the day too.

So the story really begins here, with a claim being raised/pending with the couriering company, and no future plans for the bike at the moment, until that part of the story is complete.

You gotta be fookin joking me!
Gutted for you & Mark Steve! Good luck with the claim the swines!

Tc

O.M.G

Saw this advertised last week and was so jealous as its a truly great bike,
I read this thread expecting to see wall to wall smiles . . . . . . Not a chuffing great crack

I feel your pain !

Hope you get some compensation from the muppets who delivered it , but I can't help thinking it will a long road, I sure someone on here with intimate knowledge of metalogy will be able to advise upon a suitable repair,

will be following this thread closely for your update(s)

:shock:

God thats really bad luck,hope things work out with the claim am i right in thinking you both have recent photos of the bike before they took it?

As i would expect the couriers to blame anyone but there guy.

Think it could be repaired or that not even a consideration at the min?

Gutted for all involved.

Such a sad demise of what had become, under Mark's ownership, one of a select few legendary Retrobikes. But this is the cruel and inevitable outcome for all our bikes over time - dig in and turn this fateful event into a positive and inspirational outcome, for all our sakes!

Back