93 OCLV weightweenie Project *Latest weigh-in pg. 22*

My_Teenage_Self

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
Hi All,

Well, this is getting close to being built, so I thought I'd start this thread.

The aim is to see how light I can get a front sus early 90s bike, without going crazy or resorting to drillium. it's gonna be ridden, but I'm fed up of shonky bits, so it's all NOS, or VGC.

So, This:

Photo0216.jpg

is getting a full respray and sticker, whilst these:

DSC01517.jpg

are being polished within an inch of their life.

Most of the bits are here, or should be here soon, so I'll start to bung some more pics up.

There won't be any shimano, but that was more of an accident.

I'd be interested to hear thoughts on this - good or bad. I know there isn't a lot of love for 'plastic' on this site, but I've always loved the OCLVs.

Over to you... :D

Re: 93 OCLV weightweenie Project

The aim is to see how light I can get a front sus early 90s bike, without going crazy or resorting to drillium.

Are you sure you don't want to shave off some weight by skimming down those dropouts? :LOL:

Bram J":2rjsoumz said:
Are you sure you don't want to shave off some weight by skimming down those dropouts? :LOL:

LOL, I had a 8700, and that also had comedy-oversized dropouts! They ain't going nowhere!

:LOL:

Are you sure you don't want to shave off some weight by skimming down those dropouts? :LOL:[/quote]

....the early '90s Cannondale 3.0 and 2.8 frames were not a lot different if I remember - makes the rear triangle a little bit smaller and therefore stiffer - can never have too much stiffness!

Whats the frame weighing in at just now? Will be watching with interest :) have a very similar project thats been slow burning away for a while now.

kaiser":14xj8jdh said:
Whats the frame weighing in at just now? Will be watching with interest :) have a very similar project thats been slow burning away for a while now.

It's light, I've only weighed it with the BB in at the moment - I'll get a weight without tomorrow.

Weights will be listed with everything.

I originally thought it would be nice to see sub 20lb, but I've been told that might be a bit optimistic for a 'full retro' build. :oops:

very nice frame. even with susser forks you could see 20lb with careful choice of parts so no Shimano

Monkeeee01":1v90d3na said:
I managed to get my 96 kula under 20lb but it did have V brake crossmax SLR and Pace RC39

I'd love to know the rest of the specs - I've some suitably light parts here...

I'll post some pic and details up tommorrow but mainly XTR M950 and Easton bars/tube. The tyres were not retro either thinking about it - they were continental super sonics. Light as a feather but I got a puncture virtually every time I rode lol

Back