Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:07 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:26 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:28 pm
Posts: 476
Location: Lahndon
Loving this, hats off to your lightweight period correctness. This is gonna be a beaut!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:14 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:33 pm
Posts: 2119
Location: New Forest
Again, thanks for the support fellas!

Spokes - The build is based around 93-95, so if wheelsmith were making a 2-1.5, then that's cool. Looking back (at a post started by fluffychicken) it appears that wheelsmith can only be gotten in the states? So, as a bit of a compromise, I'll probably go for the DT revs. Not perfect, but a fair representation?

Alloy Nips too :shock:

Just seen my bank balance, so it may be a month before I can get the wheels done, but I've got a frame to strip and paint in the meantime! (Gil M has been briefed - didn't have these on file)

Thecannibal; (missed your comment, sorry) I agree that Controltech skewers look neat, but it boils down to this: I WILL lose the allen key, and these skewers will end up with the levers screwed in all the time.

That, and I'd also end up scratching everything up trying to get the allen key in whilst covered in mud etc!...

...not to mention that i had these sat around, but had forgotten about them!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:43 am 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 10:01 am
Posts: 11212
Location: Stockport, staring at the Peaks
I'm surprised at those spoke weights, when I was looking recently I remember being surprised how little difference there was :? Big fan of Revs though and I'm sure I had some in about '93/4 - Hope UltraLight on Mavic 230, about 630g iirc 8) Rear was LX but still respectable - transformed the bike!

Tyre wise it was an IRC V-Claw Lite on the back @470g (if anyone has one of these please...) but something big & grippy up front, like a Maxxis Mofo DH 2.35 - still not overly weighty.

Keep up the good work! :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:11 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 11:41 pm
Posts: 530
Location: Norfolk. Rides at Thetford Forest
elPedro666 wrote:
I'm surprised at those spoke weights, when I was looking recently I remember being surprised how little difference there was :? Big fan of Revs though and I'm sure I had some in about '93/4 - Hope UltraLight on Mavic 230, about 630g iirc 8) Rear was LX but still respectable - transformed the bike!

Tyre wise it was an IRC V-Claw Lite on the back @470g (if anyone has one of these please...) but something big & grippy up front, like a Maxxis Mofo DH 2.35 - still not overly weighty.

Keep up the good work! :wink:


Hi El Pedro, the spoke weights quoted are as listed on DTs own website and I am amazed at the revolving weight that can be saved, so I hope they have got it right :oops: . I have two sets of wheels for my Litespeed weight weenie project bike and the mavic 230s with revs transform the ride completely and also reduce the all important weight also! 8) I fully understand that other lightweight parts are also important, but in my 20 years of bike building the wheels are only second to a quality frame for a superbike build.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:04 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 10:01 am
Posts: 11212
Location: Stockport, staring at the Peaks
Couldn't agree more on the effect of light, well-built wheels, best money you can spend on a bike (after the tyres) 8)

How's the build coming together - I think we need some more progress pics... :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:28 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:33 pm
Posts: 2119
Location: New Forest
Rims should be arriving this week, but cash flow means a pause in proceedings for a bit.

I've started the (very tedious) process of stripping paint from carbon without touching the carbon. It's not quick or pretty, but should be worth it in the end!

Nothing else to report for now I'm afraid.

Except, my sums say this should be a sub 21lb build... :D


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:23 pm 
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
retrobike rider / Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 10:01 am
Posts: 11212
Location: Stockport, staring at the Peaks
My_Teenage_Self wrote:
Rims should be arriving this week, but cash flow means a pause in proceedings for a bit.

I've started the (very tedious) process of stripping paint from carbon without touching the carbon. It's not quick or pretty, but should be worth it in the end!

Nothing else to report for now I'm afraid.

Except, my sums say this should be a sub 21lb build... :D


ooo, so close! Starts getting very expensive as you get close to the magic '20' though...

Good luck with the sanding, try to keep hold of your sanity (and don't breathe it in!) :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:41 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:33 pm
Posts: 2119
Location: New Forest
I've a paint stripped that's safe for carbon, it's slow, and a bit weak, but it does work - I'm very wary of sanding it, and I just want to get back to a good base, not bare carbon.

Hehe, the 'magic' 20... I don't know if I'll see it, but it's worth a shot!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:47 pm 
PoTM Winner / retrobike rider
PoTM Winner / retrobike rider
User avatar

Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:58 pm
Posts: 2102
Location: Best part of Holland
My_Teenage_Self wrote:
I've a paint stripped that's safe for carbon, it's slow, and a bit weak, but it does work - I'm very wary of sanding it, and I just want to get back to a good base, not bare carbon.

Hehe, the 'magic' 20... I don't know if I'll see it, but it's worth a shot!


just use the metric system! We say the magic 10kg... :wink: :D

I remember an article in the very early nineties, about a guy who had a stumpjumper below 10kg. It was worth 3 pages in a mtb magazine bitd!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:50 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:33 pm
Posts: 2119
Location: New Forest
LOL! deffo sub 10kg! :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: nutallabrot and 24 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group