Rojo's 1997 Kona Kilauea

EarlofBarnet

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Rojo and his eBay trigger finger recently landed him a bargain Kona Kilauea. Only thing was that it was collection only and in Cumbria. I've helped an RB member before with a Cumbria pickup and happily jumped in to help Rojo get his hands on this latest purchase.

Auction pics:

1324392175_0.jpg

1324392194_3.jpg

So a 7am start and off I went to collect the bike from a small village just off the M6. On the way home I called in to my local bike shop and borrowed their headset cup remover and headset press to help me get this job underway :)

As soon I got home I decided to get stuck in and assess what Rojo had got himself. The bike has been neglected and look like it had been left outside for a while, but essentially it was ok and just in need of some tlc and standard service parts.

0bdfdd9a.jpg

4a1a4c98.jpg

From Keswick Mountain Bikes

edd098ac.jpg

528725f8.jpg

And was also left with this little lot

339476a2.jpg

644c113b.jpg

Rojo wanted to run P2's on this bike so a set of triple butted ones were allocated to the job.

04d25513.jpg

These, along with a Velocity stem and a Impact headset were also fitted

4343ee40.jpg

Next job was to clean the wheels up and see what the cassette was like. Thankfully just a good (!) clean needed and both are perfectly useable.

c9f043c9.jpg

78000f5a.jpg

This then gave me this after giving the frame a bit of a cut and polish

ad6f1d7e.jpg

Still to come

5dd6f38d.jpg

Not bad for half a days work. Going to pick up some new cables, brake blocks and a chain from my local bike shop tomorrow and then may have it up and running tomorrow afternoon. Quick turnaround and then off to Rojo so he can enjoy it.

Blimey

I don't know what the best bit was ... The bike for £20 or earl doing all this work after collecting and before posting.. Earl your a star sir

How does rojo find these bargains :LOL:

I like working on my own little projects, so offered to help Rojo out (although think he's helping me more by giving me something to tinker with). I quite like seeing the difference in something before and after, gives quite a bit of satisfaction.

Thank you so so much Matt you are a star you really are, amazing job you have done. I am so so grateful for your effort for getting it and now doing this .

:D

£20?! For a '97 Kilauea? That's pretty much my favourite kona colour scheme. Just don't tell me it's a 20" or I'll have a little cry. Looks like a 19" to me.

It is a nice colour. I really like how the dropouts are attached, nice piece of detail.

I'm up and about now so will look to fit the bottom bracket, chainset and rear mech shortly. Then go on to tidy up the brake levers and fit them along with the shifters and grips.

Realised that the QR seatpost clamp is too big for the frame, so will have to see if I can dig out a smaller one.

Also, what way do you mount the Curve handlebars??? They drop down by the look of it (like a reverse riser bar), or do they hump back towards the rider? Very weird :)

Seat collar too big that weird how it held on before??

I might have a spare old kona collar here somewhere.

The bar does sound weird, not heard that before :?

Is it a proper kona seat clamp at that size ??

Weird bar :shock:

What you thinking with bar?

I've put the bar how I think it goes, not sure its right though. Need to see how someone else has fitted one to be sure.

Sorry, meant 26.8. Full of cold and can't think!

Back