Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 1:58 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:09 am 
NE, North and West Yorks AEC
NE, North and West Yorks AEC

Heres mine its a bit muddy but I'm sure you get the black & silver theme with a hint of blue :wink:

Ps
I think you should keep it as original as possible, paint & components.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:21 am 
Old School Hero

The blue one sinnerman posted looks great. Colour anyway, not sure on that sloping saddle angle that the internet seems to be so fond of.

The original paint has a certain charm, you wouldn't get a colour scheme like that nowadays.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:03 am 
BoTM Winner
BoTM Winner

Sinnerman, got to keep it two tone or paint it two tone. Its the classic for the Overbury 88-89 bikes. looks sooo cool on that. my one I did that mid blue colour which was good but I wished I did it white and blue.

ditch the flex stem, put a rolls or turbo saddle on it. Give it a strip and rebuild. proper nice bike!!

Good pressie by the way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:34 pm 
Old School Grand Master

what he said, doesn't really need repainting imho either, just a bit of tweaking and a good overhaul.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:10 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

kaya wrote:
Heres mine its a bit muddy but I'm sure you get the black & silver theme with a hint of blue :wink:

Ps
I think you should keep it as original as possible, paint & components.

Class pic mate it looks like it has just finished the MAN V HORSE V BIKE :shock:

As for mine i am totally unsure what to do.. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:22 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

Rod_Saetan wrote:
what he said, doesn't really need repainting imho either, just a bit of tweaking and a good overhaul.

Mate i cant really leave it like it is, as the years roll on it will just deteriorate.. :cry:

It really is in very good overall rideable condition, a tube and a tune up, and it would be a perfectly good rider.
To be fair, for what it cost, im quite impressed, the forks arent bent, which was this models achilles heal, the frame has surface corrosion, but not life threatening.

the trouble is if it looks like a shed, i would treat it like one... :oops: , if i put a bit of time and effort to it, it would get a lot more pleasure and enjoyment from it.... :D and it was a present to keep... 8)

Attachments:
BENT BRAKES, BENT BARS, RUSTY RUSTY..JPG
BENT BRAKES, BENT BARS, RUSTY RUSTY..JPG [ 162.9 KiB | Viewed 949 times ]
22 YEARS OLD.JPG
22 YEARS OLD.JPG [ 140.67 KiB | Viewed 949 times ]
SURFACE CORROSION.JPG
SURFACE CORROSION.JPG [ 136.49 KiB | Viewed 949 times ]
PRETTY GOOD SHAPE.JPG
PRETTY GOOD SHAPE.JPG [ 157.09 KiB | Viewed 949 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:21 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

biglev wrote:
Sinnerman, got to keep it two tone or paint it two tone. Its the classic for the Overbury 88-89 bikes. looks sooo cool on that. my one I did that mid blue colour which was good but I wished I did it white and blue.

ditch the flex stem, put a rolls or turbo saddle on it. Give it a strip and rebuild. proper nice bike!!

Good pressie by the way.

Thanks for the encouragement mate, the rolls saddle has been chosen, it had to be a rolls for this build.... 8) i think im going to remove the flexstem, its too short and pretty buggered, and i just dont see the value in refinishing it and rebuilding it.

I am surprised just how much shorter in the top tube it is, in comparison to my other English frames, hence why i felt it would be a great option to run Drop handlebars...?

Attachments:
SHOULD IT STAY OR SHOULD IT GO.JPG
SHOULD IT STAY OR SHOULD IT GO.JPG [ 165.83 KiB | Viewed 928 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:19 pm 
King of the Skip Monkeys
King of the Skip Monkeys

Theres 'patina' and then theres tired buggered paintwork!

These are not fast XC bikes, they are almost trials speed with high BB and short tubes, its slow twisty technical stuff all the way.

Not sure when I'm going to next ride mine but I think a period riser bar is in order just to see how it behaves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:23 pm 
Old School Grand Master

sinnerman wrote:
Mate i cant really leave it like it is, as the years roll on it will just deteriorate.. :cry:

It really is in very good overall rideable condition, a tube and a tune up, and it would be a perfectly good rider.
To be fair, for what it cost, im quite impressed, the forks arent bent, which was this models achilles heal, the frame has surface corrosion, but not life threatening.

It looks pretty rough on the top tube, and the stays, but I would keep it as it is, I reckon there is something to be said for original paintwork and its only going to get scratched if you repaint it and ride it anyway. I'm sure whatever you decide you will be as thorough as usual and it will turn out great anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:37 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Why the hand wringing?

It'll get stripped, polished, painted, pampered and God knows what just like the rest of your bikes; I'm sure you only do it to show up the rest of us! :lol:

I do like the original paint though, sets it apart from some of the others which can look a little on the drab side of understated?

Thought it before from the pix of your bikes; I'm loving the view from your decking... 8)

PS: I need a 'Green with Envy' emoticon!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 122 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 13  Next