GT STS 1000 DS

ashes_mtb

Devout Dirtbag
Hi there,

Bought this STS on ebay about 3 months ago and finally finished the build last weekend. It'll be my main bike so decided to go with a full new build rather than retro (hope it doesn't offend) also thought it would be interesting to see how it compares to my mates new fs bikes.

Have been out on it twice and couldn't be happier. Rear suspension is a little soft for me but I have a Fox Float RL on the way so I'll be able to dial the suspension in perfectly. Float has slightly longer stroke than the original rock shox so I should have around 130/135mm in the rear and will set the front to 130mm.

Horst link pivots have been replaced with BETD bearings and will be replacing the rest of the pivots with BETD items in the next month or so.

Cost me just under $1400 (550GBP) all up and it weighs about 13.5kg, so worked out better for me than spending up on a new ride.

She's just had a bath in the pics, so she's a little wet!!

Attachments

• DSC00155.jpg
    DSC00155.jpg
    202.3 KB · Views: 2,107
  • DSC00159.jpg
    DSC00159.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 2,107
  • DSC00158.jpg
    DSC00158.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 2,107
  • DSC00156.jpg
    DSC00156.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 2,107
Few more pics, out in the dirt where she belongs!!

Attachments

• DSC00148.jpg
    DSC00148.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 2,106
  • DSC00140.jpg
    DSC00140.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 2,106
  • DSC00145.jpg
    DSC00145.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 2,106
  • DSC00114.jpg
    DSC00114.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 2,106
Come on we recognized you, we know you're Steve Peat. I remember you had GT as a sponsor. I'm glad you were allowed to keep at least one bike. I like it but i'm not too much fan of the neo retro mix. But again it's just me. The most important thing is that you con ride it and enjoy it. How does it compare to your V10?
:cool:
Enjoy it Steve!

Nice build :D

Would have been nice to see it wearing some retro mech's etc, but the new stuff doesn't look out of place. Its a timeless frame that still looks modern today.

Only comment I have is the steerer length :shock: I'd be worried that if you stack that will be straight in your chest :shock: Trim it down or get some spacers and have your stem right at the top.

Great views from your trail by the way :cool:

The frame looks great, and the build up is fine if you are going to use it.
Where are that pics taken, seems to be a nice place to ride!

Thanks.

The spacer stack height is just temporary, I was paranoid about cutting too much to begin with!!

The trails are in Mundaring, about 25min east of Perth, Western Australia. Heaps to choose from, easy scenic trails, xc and dh race tracks, north shore stuff etc.

We were riding the start of the Munda Biddi trail, a dedicated mtb trail that when complete will extend 900km to Albany in the south. I think it goes about 500km at the moment. My bro-in-law and I are planning to weld up some trailers and do a 1-2 week trip along it next year.

Ashes - looks magnificent (thanks for the message). I was reading about the Murra Bindi trail just last week - looks great.

Nice looking STS, design still looks so fresh although it's over 10 years old :shock:

orange71":2inmreyv said:
The trails are in Mundaring, about 25min east of Perth, Western Australia

look great - but looking at those photos I think 'watch out for the crocs!' :shock:

haha - Crocs are about 2200km to the north, you'd have to get very lost to be in any danger! :)

Back