Ibis Ti Mojo 1x9

K U R T

Dirt Disciple
Feedback
View
I wanted a Ti Mojo forever and alas found one! At first I thought of building it into a modern 2 x 10 but then realized it would be too similar to my modern hardtail. I had a wonderful Syncros Revolution crank laying around, which was begging for a chance with the Tibis. Like a good buddy, I gave it my blessing and a chance. Chemistry grew and eventually spawned the 1x9 you see here.

Because this Mojo has no Handjob but early decals, I believe it to be a '97 or '98. The frame came to me with the Zoke fork, Avid brakes and Thomson post, but the rest of the parts were of my choosing.

Here's the bike in it's present spec:

IMG2258-L.jpg

Lovely Paul Thumbie/ Rivendell friction shifter and bar/ stem that make me blush every time:

IMG2261-L.jpg

Revolution crank with 32 tooth Salsa ring and Spot Chainring guard. Fresh decals for the crank on the way....

IMG2262-L.jpg

After a ride or two I'll decide whether to keep the Zoke fork and if I should switch to an 11-32 cassette for my steep local trails. Right now it's got a Dura Ace 12-27. Anybody have input on these? Another possibility I've considered is a Steve Potts Type 2 fork with a 29" front. -Blasphemy???

Cheers Mates!

Kurt

Very nice kurt....the dura ace cassette is of xtr quality and will do the job great, so long as you can live with the ratios......I'd go with a fox fork, not particularly retro, but the bike would suit it and it would be a shame to saddle such a frame with anything but the best!.... :D

Lovely looking bike. :cool:

Is Santa bringing a TI seatpin for you this year?

al. ;)

That looks really clean. The decals on the bars are immaculate. How does it ride? I have recently used a superfly Marzocchi and was very surprised at how good it was. Very short travel but a lot less flex than a SID. Granted they did let go last weekend and left me riding a very low profile MTB back to the car. I am on the look out for an early Ti Mojo - with the berry colour banner and hand job. One day I will find one.... You have a very nice frame there. Internally butted Ti tubing is pretty rare.

feetabix":71bqz8jv said:
Very nice kurt....the dura ace cassette is of xtr quality and will do the job great, so long as you can live with the ratios......I'd go with a fox fork, not particularly retro, but the bike would suit it and it would be a shame to saddle such a frame with anything but the best!.... :D
In that case, get a Magura Durin on there... :p

al":23cnwb05 said:
Lovely looking bike. :cool:

Is Santa bringing a TI seatpin for you this year?

al. ;)

I believe Santa is open to the Ti seatpin suggestion. Please send a link to an appropriate example!

And I'll be on the lookout for another foam green Wildgripper...

cbb":15eor2ul said:
nice bike, like titanium too
it would need Ti seatpost and rear green wildgripper :)

I'm open to the Ti post, but aesthetics are the question: Many Ti posts come polished and, in my opinion, clash with the 'naked' finish of the Ibis. Also, this post is 28.6 mm, which is a tough find. I know Syncros and Moots made posts this size...the Moots finish matches better...but I'm not in love with their design.

For now the black Thomson brings a nice contrast, but we'll see what comes down the pike! I'll admit also of sensitivity to being named a "Posseur" or "That Guy", with Ti sprinkled at all 22 corners of the bike. One must be careful. Or am I too vain?

Most likely longterm solution: I understand Steve Potts is now making some Ti posts--it would look right, be top quality and most fitting to the pedigree, provided he'd do a 28.6......

Latest posts

Back