92' GT Zaskar

Mr Duke

Dirt Disciple
Hello and a happy Xmas to all!

Im finally getting around to sorting our a few bits up at the (parents) garage, continually promising that "yes, i'll sell it all at the next jumble!" and "No, of course Im not buying any more bits". In the process if lying through my teeth I've had a day off work and made a start on my GT build.

I had my first proper mtb in 1994, starting with a second hand Marin Palisades Trail and had my first Zaskar in 96' which was a LE frame that I picked up from Andy Kyffin at NWMTB. As such a 92' machine is a bit before my time but hey there are no rules on that are there!

I picked up the frame on ebay a while back and had the NOS stock forks from a jumble. There are one or two more mis-matches in terms of period that the purists might disaprove of but Im gonna do my best with what I have. The proposed build will be something like this;

Frame: 1992 GT Zaskar (I'll post the serial number and maybe one of you guys could check this - as informed by GM it's later than I thought but with the 91' style decals, plan to change!)
Fork: RS Mag 21
Headset: FSA Orbit X
Stem: Syncros
Handlebar: Kore
Grips: Onza Ules

Brakes: Shimano Deore
Brake Pads: XT
Brake Cables: Grey SLR Outers
Cantilever cable hangers: Whats to hand..
Brake Levers: Shimano DX (STI)
Shifters: Shimano DX (STI)
Front Derailleur: Shimano XTR M900 (will try and find a 31.8 DX)
Rear Derailleur: Shimano DX
Derailleur Cables: Grey XTR
Cassette: Shimano HG
Chain: KMC
Cranks: Shimano XT
Crank Bolts: Alu
Chainrings: Pace
Bottom Bracket: Shimano UN51
Pedals: Whats to hand..
Hub Skewers: Shimano DX (would quite like some Kore ones..)
Rims: Mavic 261CD
Hubs: Shimano Deore DX/XT
Spokes: ACI Stainless DB
Tyres: IRC's

Saddle: ?
Seatpost: Kalloy
Seatclamp: GT

Weight: ???

Attachments

• photo-7.JPG
    photo-7.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 1,593
Progress..

Another iphone pic of assembly so far. I reckon we'll have her fully rolling by 2012!

Attachments

• photo-7.JPG
    photo-7.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 1,539
Hi nice GT just noticed the U-brake i've never seen one before mounted under the stay like on yours on any GT, was there any others like this
:roll:

racer x":295zqk5h said:
Hi nice GT just noticed the U-brake i've never seen one before mounted under the stay like on yours on any GT, was there any others like this
:roll:

I guess its done due to it been a small frame size?

Looks a nice bike.

From the profile it appears to be a late 92 production 93 model year frame. Because 1) it doesn't have a replaceable hanger and 2) because the u-brake is mounted under the chainstay. If you remember your Shimano history.... the number one reason GT used u-brakes was because all the early cantilever brakes had wide profiles when cabled up meaning that you heel would clip them when mounted as low as they would be on the lower seat stay of a triple triangle frame. In 1993 Shimano introduced their lower profile canti's that barely stuck out past the seat stays. It was still enough of an issue on small frames when GT switched to canti's on most sizes in 1993 so they continued making the 14.5" frames and some early production 16" frames with the u-brake because on the smaller size frame the stays are even lower with even more potential to clip the brake with your heel when riding. This would be an early production 1993 model year frame set. Have one of these 1993 model year 14.5" frames at my house, purple ano ridden by my youngest daughter. They were mounted under the chainstay for better/straighter cable pull on the smaller frame. (Note the cross over cable guide is mounted below the seat stays). The other reason it can't be a 91 model year frame is because they only offered 16, 18 and 20" that first year. If it's stamped XX91 it would be an early producution 1992 model year frame.

Attachments

• IMG_3502.JPG
    IMG_3502.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 1,498
Thanks guys - yes it's coming on and looking good! Gotta love the old Zaskars - I still miss my last one!

GM - thanks for the top knowledge! This all makes a bit more sense now as when it arrived I remember spotting a "92" on the serial but not giving it much more thought. You clearly know your onions! By this then it's either a 92 or 93 like you said :)

Does that also mean I could change the decals? (if it does Im glad, as I prefer the look of the later ones).

Im liking your daughters bike - are they the correct decals then for that year?

Cheers. Oh here's an old dig out of me on the last one!

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 1,473
Looks spot on to me, I like that kind of black and silver build on an aluminium bike and DX was my favourite groupset from an aesthetic point of view back then.

I did quite fancy a GT around 93/94 but never had one...

Back