Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:25 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 18  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:46 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

........... :xmas-cool:

Attachments:
Brodie Sovereign MBA September 1991.jpg
Brodie Sovereign MBA September 1991.jpg [ 161.05 KiB | Viewed 1250 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:17 pm 
BoTM Winner
BoTM Winner

hi all
but thanks sinnerman for all your contributions. the ideas are starting to flow big time now. i am really leaning towards doing the white/green colour scheme with the alternated colours on the fork. that one has hit a spot with me so far. this bike is all dx components. most likely original stuff. should i keep it dx, replacing worn out parts or upgrade to xt? i am inclined to stay with dx. do you think that ritchey stem originally came on it? if not what else might it have been? i think kona style velocity stems were put on them too. i could switch to one of those. or do the syncros thing like alot of guys do. does the seat look right for it? or should i change that too? all opinions welcome.
got the serial number it's `1014'. i found a site somewhere else that had serial numbers listed and related them to the years and models but damned if i can find it again. if anyone knows of the site i was talking about please post the link here. but i will be getting it off to paul brodie thru a friend to find out what he has to say also.
merry christmas
roy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:42 pm 
BoTM Winner / Gold Trader
BoTM Winner / Gold Trader

Retro_Roy wrote:
got the serial number it's `1014'. i found a site somewhere else that had serial numbers listed and related them to the years and models but damned if i can find it again. if anyone knows of the site i was talking about please post the link here.

Sprechen sie Deutsch? There's S/N info on these pages.

http://www.mtb-news.de/forum/showthread.php?t=327631

http://www.mtb-news.de/forum/showthread.php?t=25053&page=15

My Sovereign.

http://www.brodiebikes.com/blog/?p=2108

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:15 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Hi,

I started the serial thread on mtb-news.de

I would bet your bike is a '90 Sovereign, cause the Catalyst and Climbmax from this year have no lugged seattubes. Drop Paul a mail, he will tell you. Here is my Sovereign showed before by Sinnermann:

Regards,
Oliver

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:06 pm 
BoTM Winner
BoTM Winner

thanks for the link FMJ. that is indeed the one i saw.
thanks sovereign for starting the thread. and for that bit of info on the lugged seat tube. i would be exfremely happy if my bike indeed turned out to be a sovereign. :D doesn't get much better than that does it? also your bike is a beauty!!! love the colours.
i know a fellow locally who is friends with paul brodie. i will be contacting him in the new year to convey my serial number to him for id'ing.
question for sinnerman. on the green/white colour scheme are the seatstays and chainstays green or black? if you look at the purple/yellow one you'll see it looks as if the back end is black. and looking closely at the green/white it almost looks as if rear is black also, possibly not green. even if it turns out to be black i think green might be nicer.
roy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:53 pm 
BoTM Winner
BoTM Winner

hi
since i didn't get any opinions on my last batch of questions i made a drivtrain decision on my own. since currently bike has dx components on it i will stick to dx. especially since these arrived yesterday. right now bike has araya rm-20 rims in `useable' condition. i have a set of new sun cr17a rims looking for a home. does anyone think they would be a reasonable replacement? thanks to simmerman for posting the magazine articles. i dug thru my boxes of magazines (because i never throw anything away) and found one of the articles. will continue to update as i pick and choose bits. all ideas welcome.
happy new year

Attachments:
shifters 002.JPG
shifters 002.JPG [ 162.63 KiB | Viewed 1356 times ]
shifters 003.JPG
shifters 003.JPG [ 162.19 KiB | Viewed 1356 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:20 am 
Dirt Disciple

sovereign wrote:
Hi,

I started the serial thread on mtb-news.de

I would bet your bike is a '90 Sovereign, cause the Catalyst and Climbmax from this year have no lugged seattubes. Drop Paul a mail, he will tell you. Here is my Sovereign showed before by Sinnermann:

Regards,
Oliver

Your bike is so nice! Thumbs up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 5:38 pm 
BoTM Winner
BoTM Winner

hi all
serial number has been passed on to paul for identification. i picked up these suntour roller cam brakes the other day. was thinking maybe use them on the brodie instead of the shimano u-brake. is it a good idea? if you think rollers would be a good alternate then what would be a good match on the front? opinions?
thanks
roy

Attachments:
Suntour 002.JPG
Suntour 002.JPG [ 156.04 KiB | Viewed 1260 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:18 am 
BoTM Winner
BoTM Winner

hi all
heard back from paul brodie on my bike. according to his records it's a climbmax built in february of 1990. it looks like some climbmax's had lugged seat tubes. :)
roy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:15 pm 
BoTY & PoTM Winner
BoTY & PoTM Winner

Retro_Roy wrote:
hi all
heard back from paul brodie on my bike. according to his records it's a climbmax built in february of 1990. it looks like some climbmax's had lugged seat tubes. :)
roy

A good score then roy, have you decided on a colour yet...???

The roller cam is nice, but if you are using 90% shimano...???

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 18  Next