1989 MuddyFox Courier

Lobby Gobbler

Retro Newbie
Newbie here!

Spent the last few weeks stripping down and rebuilding my '89 MuddyFox Courier.

This was the first bike I ever bought with my own hard-earned cash and spent not an unreasonable amount of my meager wages in those days. £299 in the January sales, which is about the equivalent of £670 these days.

I still have the original receipt (see pics). Bought from Harry Halls in Manchester.

It saw quite a bit of action for the first few years of the early nineties and then went into storage as my career took off and I'm ashamed to say it, has been languishing in the garage of every house I've had in the last 15 years.

Since I stopped using it, I've picked up couple of "newer" rides, including a road bike, but I never had the heart to let this go.

It still has the original grey over silver crackle paint finish. Which I've left untouched, so there are a few scrapes and chips, I wanted it to keep a condition relative to it's age and usage.

Everything is original barring the tyres, cables and outers. I have one of the original tyres, a Toioga Farmer John's Cousin, but the rear was worn and then got torn quite badly. The original cable outers had discolored and the cables had seen better days.

The ride still has the original MF bar grips, with "Muddy Fox" embossed in the ends and on the back of the saddle.

The only addition was a super-light Blackburn bottle cage when I got it, which is still on there now.

Anyway enough of me babbling......here's the details and the pics!

Frame; MuddyFox Tange Cro-Mo Tubing
Fork; MuddyFox Cro-Mo
Stem; MuddyFox
Grips; MuddyFox "fat-end" grips

Brakes; Front - Dia-Compe Cantilevers
Brakes; Rear - Dia-Compe AD-990 "Horseshoe" Cantilver (mounted under chainstays, just behind BB)
Pads; Dia-Compe
Cables; Jagwire (new) suntour

Levers; Suntour Power Control Thumbshifter for front, Suntour Accushift Thumbshifter for rear (choice of Friction or Index for changes)
Suntour 6 speed cassette

Front der; Suntour XC
Rear der; Suntour XCD 4050 Accushift
Chain; Suntour
Crank bolts; Sugino
Crankset; Sugino ML110
Chain rings; Sugino "Cycloid" Oval Chainring
B/B; Sugino
Pedals; MuddyFox Branded

Saddle; MuddyFox Branded
Seatpost; Kalloy
Seatpost bolt; Original quick release

Hubs; Sansin MuddyFox branded 32 hole
QRs; Sansin steel
Rims; Araya 26x1.5
Spokes; Original steel

Tyres; Kenda K850 Amberwall NOS

Just a sample of around 40 pics I have taken, if I can figure out how to post links to them then I will.......share and enjoy

Lobby Gobbler (Lancashire Refugee)

Attachments

• IMAG0837.jpg
    IMAG0837.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 2,280
  • IMAG0771.jpg
    IMAG0771.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 2,280
  • IMAG0783.jpg
    IMAG0783.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 2,281
  • IMAG0806.jpg
    IMAG0806.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 2,280
Good on ya for holding onto it for that time - this is the way it should be with bikes IMHO :cool:

Nice, you don't see many of those 89's at all, see quite a few 89 courier comps (probably as they were 21 speed and not much more than the Courier).

Carl.

Cheers

Thanks for all the great comments...Not seen many others like this on here, especially with the unusual oval chainrings..

Anyone give me an idiots guide to posting more images.. :?:

Cheers..... :LOL:

Re: Cheers

Lobby Gobbler":13j3i67w said:
Thanks for all the great comments...Not seen many others like this on here, especially with the unusual oval chainrings..

Anyone give me an idiots guide to posting more images.. :?:

Cheers..... :LOL:

Get a photobucket account and upload them all there, then just paste in the IMG links (from under the uploaded pics in photobucket) straight to your post.

Carl.

Wow

Awesome job Dood, I remember eyeing these up in Harry Halls BITD.
You should be very pleased with yourself! :cool:

More Pics Of My '89 MuddyFox Courier

Cheers guys...re-done links to pics as they seemed to have gone walkabout

More pics!!

Back