1991 Rocky Mountain Hammer

hjb1000

Retro Newbie
I've owned this bike for a while which I used for commuting. It had Suntour XC LTD on it but the groupset was in pretty bad condition so I decided to give it an overhaul. A friend had a 7-speed XT groupset which I acquired and here is the result. I'm pretty sure it's a 1991 Hammer, although I'm happy to be corrected.

Frame and fork- 1991 Rocky Mountain Hammer
Groupset- XT M730 series
Headset- XT 1 1/8 threaded HP-M736
Cranks- Shimano touring Biopace
Bottom bracket- Shimano UN-55 127.5mm
Seatpost- Deore DX 27.0
Brakes- XT II Canti's with Specialized fork mounted cable hanger (works well with a bit of modification)
Stem- 1 1/8 quill Profile Boa
Wheelset- XT M730 hubs to Ritchey rims
Saddle- Rolls Titanium

Man this took a while! Lots of little hiccups along the way, which is to be expected with old stuff I guess. I wanted to keep the build as period correct as possible and I'm really happy with the result.
Please excuse the amateur cable routing as I'm still learning.
Oh, and I think I stuffed the chain length up as it doesn't like big sprocket- big chainring.
I had a bit of trouble with the front derailleur routing and in the end had to use a cyclocross pulley and the traditional bottom pull XT. I'm guessing the FD-M736 top pull didn't exist in 1991 (well as far as my lazy internet research goes)

Overall a great nimble little bike.

6524580109_969b6045ce_b.jpg

6524580137_ba2f18522e_b.jpg

6524580159_2920fd90ef_b.jpg

6524580147_6ab4a5afce_b.jpg

6524580163_18571bab7f_b.jpg

Looks great!! Only things I would change are the silver stem, seat post and chain rings to black, but that's just personal preference. Frame looks to be in fantastic shape.

Looks good. I'd change to silver bar. Frame looks in great shape :D

I like the silver and don't mind the black bars as they all go (style of stem not so sure, but then I'm not riding it)

Like it and 1991, maybe the later models of that model year as it's not got the noodle for the front mech (no firm evidence on that though)

Cable routing for the mechs should be the other way around on the top tube, but nothing important (other than I'll be rocking back an forth and weeping in a corner)
;)

OOOOH that's nice! I'd love those bars for my Rocky, resorting to respraying some plain black to get what I want.

Just a black stem needed, surely? Otherwise that's fab!

mrkawasaki":c4c8218g said:
Nice - the BB looks high - is this designed to be a 'woods' bike?
No it's the same hight as the race bike and most higher in the range. Could be the fat tyres, but it's still low compared to the rear axle
It does have slacker angles (for the time) in the head and seat for a more comfort/everyday riding. A good bike to do long distances on.
Second to bottom of the range at the time.

Here's another in the alternate red colour, sporting the front mech noodle though.
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=110450

FluffyChicken":3a25c5x2 said:
Like it and 1991, maybe the later models of that model year as it's not got the noodle for the front mech (no firm evidence on that though)

Cable routing for the mechs should be the other way around on the top tube, but nothing important (other than I'll be rocking back an forth and weeping in a corner)
;)

Thanks for all your comments!

Ah you mean the front and rear derailleur cables are opposite to what they should be on the top tube? I just assumed the rear derailleur cable would route along the right hand side.

And am I right in using a CX pulley to make the bottom pull front derailleur work? Was this the way it was originally done?

Stem selection seems to be a contentious subject :) I do actually have the original black steel Rocky Mountain stem but I want the handlebar to be a little higher so I went for a higher angle and slightly shorter version.

Back