Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:39 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: gt rts 3
PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:41 pm 
Dirt Disciple

hi
i have just bought a gt rts 3, described as very good condition, i have been trying to find some old reviews and gt brochures which has the spec, and some info on the bike, it was on ebay and got it for £122, seemed a good price, would be grateful for any ones input. Also was thinking of putting some mag wheels on it, again would like some advice and recomendations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:54 am 
Devout Dirtbag

aaargh! Not the mag wheels! For me, part of the appeal of the rts is its open, airy, light look.

Mags on it would be like doing a Picasso version of Mona Lisa...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:51 pm 
Retro Guru

the catalogues are online here on this site, should be able to help you. from memory, the RTS 3 was all shimano STX with a Rock Shox Quadra fork.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:06 pm 
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider

hi welcome to rts ownership.

at the top of the page click gallery and archive, then manufacturer archive, then find gt.

there is a link here for you

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/mai ... temId=4993

you will hopefully find the details you need in there

dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:30 pm 
Retro Guru

congrats on your new bike!!
I had see the rts 3 ont the bay,as i won the rts2 frame off there too,£97 for the frame but i think it was that much as it had the rear roller on it for the back brake.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:35 pm 
Dirt Disciple

mtbdave wrote:
congrats on your new bike!!
I had see the rts 3 ont the bay,as i won the rts2 frame off there too,£97 for the frame but i think it was that much as it had the rear roller on it for the back brake.

Dave

i seen that and was in two minds to bid on that, but in the end went for the complete bike, as i didnt have any parts, and did not want to pull my 92 a/stars cromega apart as i have just had it painted. i have always thought the GT RTS was a fantastic looking bike, even today it still looks good, i remember when it first came out as frame only it was really expensive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:02 pm 
Retro Guru

Yes I don't blame you going for the full bike I bought it for spares(the bushes/barings/brake roller/rocker are getting v.scarse now,not to mention a new shock from noleen being $198 plus postage!!

Am starting from scratch got a 92 rts-1 frame/forks and been sourcing parts as best I can I didn't realise what was involved,but am getting thru it (the bike and my bank balance!!!)
Ha ha ha

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:21 pm 
Dirt Disciple

mtbdave wrote:
Yes I don't blame you going for the full bike I bought it for spares(the bushes/barings/brake roller/rocker are getting v.scarse now,not to mention a new shock from noleen being $198 plus postage!!

Am starting from scratch got a 92 rts-1 frame/forks and been sourcing parts as best I can I didn't realise what was involved,but am getting thru it (the bike and my bank balance!!!)
Ha ha ha

Dave

i have noticed that some parts are a little thin on the ground, i dont know about you but some of these rts bikes look good with mag wheels, but it seems quite a few people think they should have standard wheels on, also i have never riden one of these bikes bought it on its looks, do you know what they are like to ride.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 8:33 pm 
Retro Guru

The reason for the spinnergy wheels is because in 93 or 94 you could order the top end bikes with these wheels as an option,as for riding,handling etc I don't know what there like I wanted one of these bikes since they came out hence the 92 rts 1 with 4130 chrome rear triangle,but near £2500k is a lot when your only 13!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:51 pm 
Dirt Disciple

mtbdave wrote:
The reason for the spinnergy wheels is because in 93 or 94 you could order the top end bikes with these wheels as an option,as for riding,handling etc I don't know what there like I wanted one of these bikes since they came out hence the 92 rts 1 with 4130 chrome rear triangle,but near £2500k is a lot when your only 13!!!

That is a bit steep