GT RTS 1 Team rear suspension tolerance / replacement

Milesma

Retro Newbie
Greetings,

I'm a new member from across the pond. I'm an old guy w/ old bikes (Fat Chance, ProFlex, AMP, etc.) but my current ride is a '93 GT RTS 1 Team w/ AMP fork that I've had since new.

I have had no luck searching for information regarding acceptable tolerances in the rear suspension, replacement bearings, etc. I recently took it apart, and was surprised to not find any bushing in the seat & chain stays, w/ only two pressed in bearings at the link, and the heim link at the end of the shock.

(I only do technical trails, so the suspension is set to firm, and I was even considering making the rear a hardtail (by substituting the shock w/ a machined alum. piece.)

I'm wondering if anybody has tolerance info (besides wiggling the rear triangle), and if anybody has found replacement parts.

Thanks,
Milema

replacing the shock with a strut will put stress on parts not designed to take it , broken frame ahoy
the biggest culprit for play in the pivots are usuall the bolts , track down some "shoulder "bolts , most toolmakers/engineering shops should be able to help ,i cant remember the sizes off the top of my head but with a couple of washers stock size ones fit
the bushes in the chainstay link are just standard DU bushes , rocker bearings again are a stock item

its worth doing properly

mike

I've got an RTS-3 frame with a couple tiny cracks in the bottom bracket shell. It hangs on my wall and does nothing for anybody. If a donor frame with a basically unused shock would be of any help to you PM me and maybe we can arrange something.

Back