To possess a real ritchey frame was one of my dreams (beside of a harem
). But the problems are, that the frames aren't the cheapest ones, that they aren't really common and that the front tubes are too short for my age...
So, as a fan of diy-projects i decided to take a suitable frame and to commute him to a ritchey-fake. In September I found a good looking jamis aurora with the typical backside clamping of the seatpost.
First I sandblasted the frame + fork (a cheap modell for 15 euros
), bought some decals from the states (www.velocals.com
) and started to buy (brake, crankset, tires) or copy (stem, rim) the ritchey-components. The decals for the crankset and the grip shift (I always loved them) are home-made on my computer.
After I've got the naked frame + fork I painted them with usual sprays from the building center. I used RAL 5010 (blue), RAL 3000 (red) and RAL 9016 (white).
The most difficult part (beside of my impatience, a deadly combination, when you are goint to paint something...) was to produce smooth colour-changes from red to white and from blue to white. So I used the pulleys of the toilet paper to get a distance between the surface and the edge of the board. It sounds easier than it is but finally I'm satisfied with my new ritchey painting for poor people and I'm little proud to have done this (I have to say, that I'll never, never do this once again because of my overwrought nerves
Here are some photographs of my work: