The opposite of rich is a DIY-ritchey

stoppi_71

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hello!

To possess a real ritchey frame was one of my dreams (beside of a harem ;) ). But the problems are, that the frames aren't the cheapest ones, that they aren't really common and that the front tubes are too short for my age...

So, as a fan of diy-projects i decided to take a suitable frame and to commute him to a ritchey-fake. In September I found a good looking jamis aurora with the typical backside clamping of the seatpost.

First I sandblasted the frame + fork (a cheap modell for 15 euros ;) ), bought some decals from the states (www.velocals.com) and started to buy (brake, crankset, tires) or copy (stem, rim) the ritchey-components. The decals for the crankset and the grip shift (I always loved them) are home-made on my computer.

After I've got the naked frame + fork I painted them with usual sprays from the building center. I used RAL 5010 (blue), RAL 3000 (red) and RAL 9016 (white).

The most difficult part (beside of my impatience, a deadly combination, when you are goint to paint something...) was to produce smooth colour-changes from red to white and from blue to white. So I used the pulleys of the toilet paper to get a distance between the surface and the edge of the board. It sounds easier than it is but finally I'm satisfied with my new ritchey painting for poor people and I'm little proud to have done this (I have to say, that I'll never, never do this once again because of my overwrought nerves ;) )

Here are some photographs of my work:

Attachments

• Jamis_Aurora_01.jpg
    Jamis_Aurora_01.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 2,564
  • Ritchey_20.JPG
    Ritchey_20.JPG
    84.3 KB · Views: 2,564
  • Ritchey_26.JPG
    Ritchey_26.JPG
    91.1 KB · Views: 2,564
  • Ritchey_27.JPG
    Ritchey_27.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 2,564
more photographs:

Attachments

• Ritchey_31.JPG
    Ritchey_31.JPG
    93 KB · Views: 2,561
  • Ritchey_30.JPG
    Ritchey_30.JPG
    318.6 KB · Views: 2,561
  • Ritchey_23.JPG
    Ritchey_23.JPG
    133.4 KB · Views: 2,527
Today I fixed the decals and painted the frame with clear coat. One decal (the left P-21) has been corroded by the clear coat, so I had to repaint some parts. And as all hobby-painters know, if you chance something, it will get worse than before ... :roll:

Tomorrow I'll polish the bike and the fork and build in the headset.

One photo is without flash and the blue looks darker. But nevertheless it seems to be a little bit lighter than the original. But the good thing is, that I haven't care about originality :cool:

Attachments

• Ritchey_32.JPG
    Ritchey_32.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 2,379
  • Ritchey_35.jpg
    Ritchey_35.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 2,379
That's great! I got the same idea with my unknown frame!

GroteFoto-6FKR6PSN.jpg

come on Christoph show us the finished "Ritchey" ;)

you had some great ideas how to realize that paint pattern - good work.

here at retrobike its not that much polarizing, isn't it ? :)

Nice work. The fade is very well done.

I liked it right up until it got Ritchey stickered. Why not create suitable stickers without implying that its a Ritchey? Everything is for sale at some point, and three owners from now some poor simp will be on the board here asking if his "P-21" is real.

Can't you just paint the Jamis?:?

Attachments

• yokota.JPG
    yokota.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 2,235
thats very well executed! ritchey bikes are very timeless looking things. it would prob do my head in riding around on it knowing the story...but hey i'm a bit retentive when it comes to those kind of things :LOL:

great paint job, i would love to see it built up. you could run modern ritchey components on it, their standard comp stuff is really good, and extremely good value! bars stem post etc

Back