Dablk's 95' Orange E3

dablk

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Dablk's 95 Orange E3

Well shes back "the town bike". She already been riden by at least two of the boys on here (azaro and johnny666) and now its my turn with her ;)

I had originally picked her up as she was local, to kit her out with cast offs from my 03'P7 build. However a new front mech is needed and it would have all just looked so ugly on her that a new plan was formed. This to just get her looking as normal as possible. No flash parts or bling. Will try an be as faithful to mid 90's as possible but not so thats its an utter ball ach.

e31.jpg

I have already sorted some bits, and want to thank those involved with my first few sales on here. HotRod bars, sk8 stem and some mint 36h xt m737 hubs. My first real debate however is over rims. I think for now i'm going to be happy sticking some modern Mavic rims on. I dont think this will effect the look I am after and give me more piece of mind over the strength...I'm no fly weight at near 16 stone ;)

Can anyone suggest as suitable period tyre/seatpost/saddle for this?

Will update when I have more to show.

Nice. I had one very recently as well as back in 95.

As for finishing bits. Either an original orange seat post or a USE the. If you can fine one and original Orange Ti saddle. Tyres should be umma gumma.

northerndave":1anguyq5 said:
Nice. I had one very recently as well as back in 95.

As for finishing bits. Either an original orange seat post or a USE the. If you can fine one and original Orange Ti saddle. Tyres should be umma gumma.

ND.......thats a perfect suggestion, i can see it now, especially with the tyres...................cool........ :cool:

lovely looking frame too, and great condition too... :shock:

Cheers Boys...

Not much to update.
The sk8 I got from ratcapa was already logoless which made it an easy choice to polish the living hell out of it and tbh it looks much nearer the shine of the frame than the dull effect of the Sk8 used too.

Seen a few USE's kicking about. Would love to stick an orange post on it but they seem hard to locate...even rusty ones. Did they ever come in 27.2? The few have seen on other bikes suggest they are 26.somthing.

Not familiar with umma gumma's which brand are they?

Looking at 737/738/739 kit level, its obviously a canti era frame so wont be tempted by v's. Although it would make shifters much easier.

Considering foam grips.

Shifters

Cheers Azaro, To be fair the camera balancing for the hedge has probably over egged the shine ;)

So awaiting the arrival of the early shopping list

Brakes:- Dia-Compe SS5 Levers/M737 Canti's
FM: M737
Cranks: STXRC fc-m40 (for now as I have them).

Now for the next two.
RM : Pretty sure I'm going for a M739 as its apparently a bit more robust than an M737

Question is what shifters? I really dont like all in one units, so do I go for M008/m739 shifter onlys, or Gripshift srt 600's or Good old Xt thumbies with extra click?
thoughts? I really dont plan on going down the 'just throw XTR everywhere' route.

Lol...She currently sat on the crossrides from my P7. Looks great but modern. Not what this build is meant to be about.

I recently bought an E3 frame, which sadly turned out to be cracked.
But as it was polished, I got an black anodised USE seatpost that was a bit tatty, and polished off the ano.
The seatpost looks stunning now and would look great with the polished frame - you could do the same.

As for wheels, when did Orange use the FIR rims? Slightly gold hue to them - on STX-RC hubs - stickered up as "Orange Racing Division - Built to Orange specification by FIR in Italy"
I have a set that might be surplus to requirements now if they fit your build age-wise.

Orange Wildgrippers any good to you?

I might also have some M730/M740 shifters ceoming surplus to requirement in the near future.

Thanks for the offers Carge.

Not being hard and fast with the era's just want it to feel to me like its a great bike from the mid 90's without just going OTT on the bling.

So its gonna be 8 speed

Yeah hunting a USE post thats plain. Considered a new one for now as the alien logo aint too flash.

Like wise might have to live with brand new rims on some period hubs to start with. I wanna build these myself as part of the project.

Sent you a PM about your e3 frame.Sorry to hear, but there is a bit I might have if you still got it ;)

Wildgrippers, shame they are not grey... having worked out that the boys are talking about grey/amberwalls above I am tempted to start hunting for them. Orange would be a bit too much for me I think

Nice :cool: , plans for it sound great, love the E3, had one as a single speed a few years ago, very light bike and super responsive ride, a bit harsh though with the alloy forks but probably no worse than a Dale or Klein.

Have another E3 on the back burner at the moment, (fully geared this time), frame was rough but sound, did'nt want it polished like my last one so painted it orange/silver fade.

Hi Jimmy,

Do you mean orange fade with the orginal polised in the middle? I was thinking about that the other day and thought it would look pretty mental.

Not something I plan for this one though. I'm hoping that there is an orignal post on its way next weekwhich i'm going to polish up. I know its probably not the lightest but should look right. A lovely set of xt 737, 5 bolt cranks where also a total luxury.

I have also grabed a nos 32 front hub to swap with the 36 I already had. So it will be a 32/36 build. Still undecided on retro or "plain" modern rims.
The SS-5 are going to get a respray to give them a new lease of life. I had forgoten how much I liked their simplicity. I have sourced only a right single 8 speed xt 739 under bar shifter, so not yet commited to xt shifters or grip shift yet.

Never riden an aluminium MTB, but yeah expecting a harsh ride, especially with aluminium rigid forks.

Cash is out for now so tyre hunting will have to wait till jan.

Back