Budget GT avalanche.

mallott

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hello chaps, right lets set the scene, whilst at work in Plymouth i happen to see a mongoose rockadile hidden in some undergrowth and missing various parts.

So i drag it out, it's down wheels, post and saddle, and needs a bit of love. The frame number has been ground off so it's obviously been nicked and dumped.

So i throw it in the van, build it up with bits in the garage and run around on it as a hack bike. As the kids have grown up and their bikes get bigger, there begins to be less and less room in the garage. I have thoughts about thinning down the number of bikes in there.

Whilst putting some new cable on my daughters giant mtx125 i cant help thinking 'Kids bikes are crap, heavy components crap pipework etc etc. I know, i'll cut up the rockadile (tange mtb) and make her a nice light bike.

The day after i cut it up, my old man says "if you want to sell the rockadile, i'll have it off you" oh bugger!

So i said i would keep an eye out for a frame and build him something cheap with the leftover bits. A gt avalanche f+f came up on Ebay for £40 posted, sorted!

Got it today and built it up a bit

CIMG8233.JPG

CIMG8238.JPG

CIMG8237.JPG

CIMG8236.JPG

CIMG8235.JPG

Not sure i want to let him have it now though!

Ok here goes

CIMG8240.JPG

The original frame was cut on the seatpost, shortened downtube (you can see the sleeve gusset bit) and at the rear of the chainstays. So the bb welds are original as well as the downtube weld at the headtube, everything else was then chopped/ reshaped and welded.

CIMG8243.JPG

Rear mech is stx se, this bike is over 6 lbs lighter than her giant.
CIMG8244.JPG

CIMG8241.JPG

Shortened stonglight speed city cranks! With raceface bolts!

CIMG8242.JPG

My sons newer style rockadile, this has new wheels, custom cranks, kore seatpost and will have new rear mech soon. He is as good as me through the muddy bits!

CIMG8239.JPG

This bike is now nearly 4 lbs lighter than original, most from just changing the plastic coated steel cranks!

mallott":2zyip4vx said:
The original frame was cut on the seatpost, shortened downtube (you can see the sleeve gusset bit) and at the rear of the chainstays. So the bb welds are original as well as the downtube weld at the headtube, everything else was then chopped/ reshaped and welded.

Wow, nice work, you can barely tell this isn't the way it came from factory!

Back