NYC Monster... and a bit of a story!

Bear-Chan

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
just been out in new york for a week on a working break and came home with something i never expected to!

we work a lot with a toy design company out there and were at their main office chatting with the designers. i was asking about brooklyn machine works stockists as i was curious to see some of them in the metal so to speak. turns out the guy we've known for ages there is actually very good friends with the guys from BMW (hes also in the new MASH fixie dvd) and also used to ride a lot with the spooky guys back in the day. i said i loved the old metalhead/pitboss's etc and he mentioned he'd got an old frame i could have if i wanted - he was given it from spooky years ago and it was just collecting dust in his appartment. i was a bit shocked when he told me what it was - i vaguely remember seeing one of these frames at the LBS back in the day and being pretty amazed by the hard as nails look of it and the price tag! the replaceable dropouts and work on the swingarm is pretty insane.

anyways, it would have been ever so rude to refuse such a gift :)wink: ) so after some hotel-room dismantelling and bubble-wrapping (and pursueding the girlfrirend that it would just fit under the bed at home!) we managed to get it into our luggage along with all the usual cheap trainers and crap we picked up out there!

now its home im at a bit of a puzzle about what to do with it!
we have 5 bikes in the lounge at the moment as it is... and im by no means a downhill kinda guy... but it would be amazing to build it up with the period parts! not sure if this would cost the earth tho? should it just be a piece of wall (or rather, under the bed!) art?

i dont know too much of the history of spooky (other than frank the welder was involved and that they were pretty punk-rock!) and technical-wise im a bit lost as well as its about the time i dropped out of mtbs and into bmx... if anyone knows any info sources etc on spooky, or what kind of parts i'd need that would be fab. im fully expecting this thing to need some obscure brakes or something like that.

anyways, sorry for the rambling post - heres some pics of the beast!

Attachments

• frame1.jpg
    frame1.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 2,981
  • frame2.jpg
    frame2.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 2,981
some more pics:

Attachments

• swingarm1.jpg
    swingarm1.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 2,980
  • swingarm2.jpg
    swingarm2.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 2,980
  • dropouts.jpg
    dropouts.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 2,980
A Spooky Project X.......nice!

projectx.jpg

Stu

why dont I seem to get toys like that given to me?! :?

Great bike though a friend of mine tried to break his....broke everything on it but the frame :LOL:

hi guys
thanks for the comments!
that black one looks like the one i saw when i was googling it earlier - very hardcore looking machine! theyre certainly not the prettiest of beasts.
im guessing that the project would be hugely expensive (big forks, discs, 3piece cranks etc) to build up looking at the clobber on that one :shock:
hmmm... wotta to do... ive never even had a full sus before let alone a monster like this! can anyone recommend a suitable type fork to match the rear? i dont even know the travel the back end has :?

does anyone know of any spooky fan type sites? i know at the time they had a pretty cult status but i can find very little more about them online.

Strange thing is..

Funny. i was just talking to a chap last week who'd also been out to NEW YORK...And visited BROOKLYN MACHINE WORKS :)
They certainly know how to build tough bikes ;)

Back