Replica Roberts repro Peugeot bike 89-90Trigger's broom

biglev

BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Hi Guys,

As some of you might know from my "At what point does a frame stop being original Roberts?" thread http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=168506 that i have a little trouble with my roberts frame I bought that meant I had to do a big frame rebuild.

I stripped the paint and found loads of repairs, not good ones either.:
roberts%20bb.jpg.opt320x240o0,0s320x240.jpg

so a crack in the seat tube and the bottom bracket shell. not great.

so I decided to replace the seat tube and bottom bracket. this was fine as they are probably cromo and columbus/531. the main probelm is that the top tube and down tube are probably 753 / 653. And in spite of a years training in welding I am not ready to braze 20 year old heat treated tubing that is thin. so a new front end.

So I took all the meatsurements and did a frame design using rattlecad (free on sorceforge)
pugroberts.jpg

I decided to go with columbus nivachrom top and down tubes, and 531 head tube, columbus gara seatube and a silva forged cromo bb.

I brazed with sif 101 rod which is low temp but stronger than regular brass from back in the day. quite happy with the fillets:
Front-end.jpg.opt321x240o0,0s321x240.jpg

I had to cut the old fron end off. eek a bit scary and then de braze the remainder off. then re file to fit. then fillet that together on my jig. then out all the fittings on. the end result is passable.

frameandfork.jpg

then to paint: i saw the real Gould Roberts pug on this site and saw the 1989-90 campag big and thought i would love hence the pug decals.
whole%20bike.jpg.opt469x352o0,0s469x352.jpg

I had a full campag groupset waiting to go form the original planend build. the rims are campag not wolber and silver nto black and I have not put on the black stem and blcak 501 bars yet but you get the pucture.

pugfinalbikelight.jpg.opt632x474o0,0s632x474.jpg

So yeah its only a small part vintage roberts and the rest is circa 2011 so maybe I should list it in the "post 98" section. but I though you might have a look at the worst most extensive rebuild I have ever done. any yes is would have been cheeper and quicker to write it off and start from scratch but I guess I saw it as a challenge or what i can do in a small shed on my own. I hope no one finds it an insult to the real ones but rather a nice piece of homage.

Cheers
Pete

I think it is still a Roberts, if not all the original metal, it's true to the original manufacturing and has brought a lovely frame back from the dead. There's a story behind it all, and yes, it's sad it's not original, but it's still a great bike and deserves it's title as a retro bike IMHO.

Great work!

thanks Rob, I hoped it would not get moved to the post 98 realm as it is retro in the components and design front. Massive effort to build and i am not sure I would do it again.

biglev":15h8nnal said:
thanks Rob, I hoped it would not get moved to the post 98 realm as it is retro in the components and design front. Massive effort to build and i am not sure I would do it again.

Judging by the result the effort was well worth it.

Very nice job on the frame, can't help thinking those decals let it down a bit though due to their size............

mmm you may be right. the down tube one in hindsight is a bit fat. I should have spoken to Gil and had some made.

Back