1985 Raleigh Mountain Tour "Rocky"

Captain Stupido

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
My latest retro purchase. I'm developing a thing for old Raleighs, and am a sucker for early ATBs. This was £25 and I couldn't resist:

6364424525_f9f85e89d8_b.jpg

Frame's built from "Raleigh 502 cro-mo" tubing. The tubing sticker is a proper Reynolds knock-off which had me doing a double take when I saw it. Frame is apparently tig-welded, but quite neat and has some nice touches such as "Raleigh" embossed seat stays, and an embossed heron logo on the (lugged) fork crown. Geometry is very relaxed, "California cruiser" style.

Bits are largely original as far as I can tell. Budget Suntour/Sakae/Dia Compe/Lee Chi. Chainset is potentially a triple, but it's clearly never had a granny ring fitted. Check out the one piece bar/stem setup :)

Condition is fair. I've cleaned it up and made the brakes work, but the back wheel has pretty much had it. That aside it rides great. Really comfy, strong and solid, a proper iron horse.

I don't know much about the bike and the year's an educated guess. My research indicates that it's not a proper Raleigh, but a Raleigh US bike from when Huffy were licensing the Raleigh name. There's a dealer's sticker from Winnepeg on the frame, too, so this has been around. It would be interesting to know how it ended up at Tottenham car boot sale.

Has anyone seen one before? I'll add some more pics once I've had a chance to give it a quick polish.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... highlight=

Didn't think I'd see another one of these! Here's my thread: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... highlight= I've since updated it with different tires and different brakes (a pain, because those 80s Raleigh frames have the wrong type brake studs). Definitely a fun bike, I believe it was actually made in a Canadian factory. Mine has a Tange fork. I think only the frame, wheels, and front derailleur are original. What's the spec on yours?

If you are any where near north Essex/Suffolk I have a pair of fairly new steel rimmed wheels you van have:)

David633":2htzv09x said:
Didn't think I'd see another one of these! Here's my thread: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... highlight= I've since updated it with different tires and different brakes (a pain, because those 80s Raleigh frames have the wrong type brake studs). Definitely a fun bike, I believe it was actually made in a Canadian factory. Mine has a Tange fork. I think only the frame, wheels, and front derailleur are original. What's the spec on yours?

Very nice! If they're rare in the US, they must be really rare in the UK. I think yours is a higher spec model, not a Rocky. The link below shows the Raleigh US brochure from 1985, although the Rocky is not listed. I'll post full specs once I've taken some better pics.

http://sheldonbrown.com/retroraleighs/c ... ges/4.html

jamabikes":2htzv09x said:
If you are any where near north Essex/Suffolk I have a pair of fairly new steel rimmed wheels you van have:)

Thanks, very kind, but I think I'll treat it to some alloy rimmed wheels. Original rims are alloy.

bluetomgold":a0mzseum said:
Very nice! If they're rare in the US, they must be really rare in the UK. I think yours is a higher spec model, not a Rocky. The link below shows the Raleigh US brochure from 1985, although the Rocky is not listed. I'll post full specs once I've taken some better pics.

Nope, the "Rocky" is clearly visible on both sides of the top tube. I believe it was sold as a Canada-only model, for some reason. Maybe a 1985 Raleigh Canada brochure could clear things up a bit.

David633":3pehontj said:
Nope, the "Rocky" is clearly visible on both sides of the top tube. I believe it was sold as a Canada-only model, for some reason. Maybe a 1985 Raleigh Canada brochure could clear things up a bit.

Interesting!

Ok, some spec:

Frame: Raleigh Mountain Tour Rocky - Raleigh 502MT Cro-Moly tubing - Tig welded.
Forks: Original 3-piece, lugged steel.
Headset: No name steel.
Stem/bars: One piece chromed steel.
Grips: Foam, new but as per original spec.

Front Brakes: Dia Compe 981? (unmarked)
Rear Brakes: Dia Compe 960
Brake Levers: Lee Chi

Shifters: Suntour Power Shifter
Front Derailleur: Suntour 7
Rear Derailleur: Suntour ?
Crankset: Sakae CX
Chainrings: SR 52, 42
Pedals: SR 452

Front Wheel: Sumo 26x1.75 rim, Raleigh "sealed bearing" hub.
Rear wheel: Maillard Hub, Weinmann rim

Back