Unofficial Pub bike build threads - anything goes!

legrandefromage

Bin Monkey
BoTM Winner
PoTM Winner
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Go on, stick your pub hacks here, no one will laugh if you have a spare canti hanger and are running Tectro V's or such like, get them in.

Mines a pint.

Heres my lump - a Carrrrrrrerrrrrrra Krakatoa 501 Magnum frame, possibly built by Saracen. Faded orange splatter over a nice blue, its original Spinner fork on other duties.

Today's donor bicycle is brought to by... Carerra! A metal theft Subway donated its forks and other gubbins today.

I have an almost complete 400LX groupset, suitably mid range and retro with the big long levers we all grew to love.

So, heres the start:

reynolds_501_magnum_125.jpg

carerra_501_magnum_frame_925.jpg

Tyres and wheels are still to be sourced...

LGF... is that frame a krakatoa or a katmandu...? i always get confused as the paint was near identical, both made in the far east, but from memory the katmandu was HI-TEN steel throughout, whilst the krakatoa used a Reynolds 501 tube, followed by HI-TEN steel,.., pretty robust frames. and will make a good pub bike, any more pics yet...???

Attachments

• hi- tensile steel.jpg
    hi- tensile steel.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 1,142
i had a black spatter krackatoa BITD nice frame tbh
crack on with it mark

mikee":22ppd13v said:
i had a black spatter krackatoa BITD nice frame tbh
crack on with it mark

The black krakatoa was, the best selling model halfords had the year that bike hit the shop floors mikee.....it was brilliant imho. :cool:

really ?

did like mine , sadly fell for peer presure and ditched the "crapatoa"
for a GT tequesta , nice bike but with hindsight not as good as the carrera
have a yearn for another one tbh

These came with full Deore LX so couldnt have been all bad.

Will post more pics Sunday. Have just about everything ready except wheels.

mikee":2ouxz2k6 said:
really ?

did like mine , sadly fell for peer presure and ditched the "crapatoa"
for a GT tequesta , nice bike but with hindsight not as good as the carrera
have a yearn for another one tbh

Seriously, for the price they were well put together tbh, and the sales figures really did take halfords by suprise.., from memory this was at the point when the BOOTS group were getting involved, and led to what was the called the "big push"....the decision the enlarge the selection of midrange through to top end bikes on shop floors.

Back